Monday, September 29, 2008

Coming Soon!


Sadly, I have not seen a movie in the theater since The Dark Knight in July! JULY, PEOPLE!!! Only two months, but feels much longer. Which means that in addition to not seeing any new flicks (luckily, most of August and September blew, though I am missing Tropic Thunder, Pineapple Express, and Burn After Reading), I haven't seen any previews! I live for previews! I love seeing previews for movies I haven't even heard of yet, and that hasn't happened in at least 3 months (the Rio didn't play any new trailers before The Dark Knight, damn them!). So I had to wait for the Fall Movie Preview Edition of Entertainment Weekly, devour it's contents, and look up all the trailers on YouTube. And now that that's done, here's what I'm looking forward to most...

  • Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (10/3): Probably sick of seeing the TV spots for this one already, but I am beyond excited for this movie! Michael Cera can do wrong, as far as I'm concerned - the kid's golden. And his costar, Kat Dennings, is really growing on me, plus, points for not looking like a stick figure with no soul!


  • Australia (11/14): It's Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, epic, beautiful and directed by Baz Luhrman. Need I say more? That man has owned me since Moulin Rouge and this is actually his first film since then! Crazy! But it honestly looks big and grand and sweeping and romantic and all the other things I'm a big ol' sucker for!


  • Doubt (12/12): This one's got tons of awards buzz already, it's based a really great play, and it stars Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I watched the trailer and this movie looks intense. In that "I'm not gonna enjoy this and be happy, but watching this will be fascinating!" way. Kinda like that. And that works for me too.


  • High School Musical 3 (10/24): I am beyond embarrassed to admit this, but I kinda love the HSM series. They're comfortingly lame, and although the bubble gum pop music is rather schmaltzy, it's catchy and fun. I've been trying to figure out how I'm actually going to see this in the theater; I can't possibly go to a regular show stuffed to the brim with teeny-bopper Zac Efron fans that will giggle and screech and coo throughout the entire film, plus I might disintegrate into a pile of mushy, pathetic goo on the floor if I have to actually ask for a ticket to this movie. It's beyond humiliating (I actually had to hide my face while watching this trailer while I was alone!)....and yet, count me in the stoked pile! If you want to revel in the heights of my geekitude, feel free to laugh at this trailer!


  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (12/25): It's directed by David Fincher, which means stylistically it's gonna be awesome! Also, it's the story of a man's life as he ages from an old man at birth to a baby at death - that sounds insanely cool! And as if starring Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett weren't enough, the title role is played by Brad Pitt (I've always thought he was a vastly underrated actor - and I love him for more than his good looks, though those are a plus), and he plays the character at every age, aided by make-up and effects that look spectacular.


  • Twilight (12/12): I haven't read the books this is based on, but I'm a huge Harry Potter and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fan, so I think that places me in the target audience. I've really enjoyed Kristin Stewart's work (in Into the Wild especially) as well as director Catherine Hardwicke (Lords of Dogtown) and the hot lead vampire was Cedric Diggory in the 4th Harry Potter film. Plus, as usual, I'm a sucker for doomed romances and lusty, shall-I-kill-you-or-screw-you interaction; Spike was totally my favorite character on Buffy.


  • Frost/Nixon (12/5): This is also based on a recent stage play about a series of interviews between ex-talk show host David Frost and then-former President Richard Nixon. Knowing little about the interviews and what was said in them myself, I can't wait to see what is discussed and the dynamic between the men sounds really interesting. Also, reprising the stage roles are the always excellent Frank Langella and Michael Sheen, whoopee! Nixon is a figure easily demonized, and yet absolutely intriguing and almost sympathetic in his frailty, failure and vulnerability, so I really want to see how this plays out.


  • Revolutionary Road (12/26): Entertainment Weekly described this film as "Mad Men + American Beauty + Kate and Leo acting their butts off" and watching the trailer, that sounds exactly right. I loved American Beauty and it's director Sam Mendes, so I'm excited about that. I have been a fan of Kate and Leo ever since Titanic (which yes, I still love shamelessly), and they've only gotten better with age. And my recent obsession with the period detail of "Mad Men" pretty much clinches my anticipation for this film. The trailer just about rips my guts out.




Should go without saying, but I am also stoked for the next Bond flick, Quantum of Solace.

2 comments:

Heather said...

These look awesome.

This is not a cab my friend, I promise you.

Doubt is blowing my mind right now, I totally get that intense thing you were talking about. How about when the preview started I was like, wow, how about that, a movie where Phillip Seymore Hoffman isn't "the creepy guy" oops. i was wrong, he is.

Australia looks really good, its that epic love story movie that I am only in the mood for once in a great while.

Al the Gal said...

There's no need to yell. We're not in a train station. We're in a tiny car.

PSH isn't a creep in "Magnolia" or "The Savages." That's 2!