Monday, September 22, 2008

Emmy Wrap-Up

After my last Emmy rant, I swore I was going to boycott the entire Emmy process as it is just too aggravating. And, true to my word, I didn't watch. But that doesn't mean I didn't look up all the winners just to see how screwed up the voters got it this time around. Of course, just to spite me, they didn't do all that bad this year. I can't speak for the probably tedious broadcast (there were 5 hosts, including Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum, and Ryan Seacrest, gag!) but when it came to most of the results, they were pretty damn savvy! Shocker!

"Mad Men" won Best Drama and "30 Rock" won Best Comedy. That's about exactly right! I mean, I'm an "Office" fan and wouldn't have minded a win for them, but all reports say that "30 Rock" deserved it, so good on you getting it right, people! Same for "Mad Men" - it was in a tougher category, and most of it's fellow nominees would have been worthy, but for me, "Mad Men" is the best, hands down. And given it's relatively low familiarity (not on a major network and all) I think it's great it was recognized like this after only it's first season!

The only major dud amongst the major winners was Jeremy Piven triumphing yet again for "Entourage" when that award so belonged to Neil Patrick Harris in "How I Met Your Mother." But Jean Smart won supporting for "Samantha Who", Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin both won for "30 Rock" (about damn time in Baldwin's case!), Glenn Close won for "Damages", and in the ultra-amazing Best Actor, Drama category, Bryan Cranston won for "Breaking Bad." This one tickles me because the man could barely get a nomination, let alone a win, for all his years of awesomeness on "Malcolm in the Middle." (Although I would probably be just as happy for "Mad Men"'s Jon Hamm or Hugh Laurie, who still hasn't won.)

I could crow about a few of the other winners (Paul Giamatti in "John Adams", yay, love him so much!) but I already addressed my greatest reliefs, and if you wanna look up the rest, just check here. Peace out!

No comments: