Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Next Disney Classic?

Hey, I'm back. Sorry for my long absence. Just haven't felt like blogging, although I have come up with plenty of stuff to write about.

For instance, Disney is finally getting around to making another animated "classic" in the princess-mode and employing traditional animation techniques. I guess they got sick of Pixar earning all the praise. This next feature is based on "The Princess and the Frog" and features an African-American heroine and takes place in the Louisiana Bayou, which sounds a lot more interesting to me than the usual princess set-up. Plus it's gonna be another musical! Yay! See the trailer here.


I suppose the princess formula has been largely worn-out; after the huge success of The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, as well as later films featuring lesser princesses, not to mention Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, the genre seemed a little overplayed. However, I must say (and it could just be I'm a girl who was raised on the princess concept cartoon) that I usually prefer these stories, especially to the more recent Emperor's New Groove, Brother Bear or Home on the Range (does anyone else even remember that one?). So here's hoping that Disney gets their groove back and creates something to rival the love I have for Ratatouille, Monsters Inc., and The Incredibles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Finally!! This makes me happy ;)
I love the disney princess movies!!