Sunday, September 21, 2008

Top 10 Movie "Bro-mances"

I haven't done a Top 10 list in forever, and I blame this topic here. I was inspired by this back in July, and had no problem figuring out my Top 10, but found it damn near impossible to write the copy. Severe writer's block when it came to this topic, I tell you. In fact, you can probably blame this post for my general absence on my blog these last few weeks. Whenever I sat down to blog, I made myself try to finish this piece first and it broke me every single time. Not only would I walk away from this piece, tearing out my hair in frustration, but I rarely let myself just move on and write the other fascinating topics brewing in my head. So sorry to have deprived you of my genius. Hope you enjoy the fruits of my rather painful labor.

  • 10. Bill and Ted - Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: The entire premise of the movie is that if these two guys are separated, future world peace will be destroyed. If that doesn't say bro-mance, I don't know what does. These guys are totally in sync and basically function as two halves of the same person; in what world are your grades linked inexplicably to your best friend's? The moment: When Bill thinks Ted has been stabbed through his armor, he falls to his knees and mourns his best friend saying, "Bogus. Heinous. Most non-triumphant. Aw, Ted, don't be dead, dude." It's pretty sweet. And then Ted shows up and they enthusiastically air guitar, hug and call each other fags. True love.
  • 9. Maverick and Goose - Top Gun: You could write a paper about all the homo-erotic subtext going on in this movie, but it's Goose and Mav's closer than brothers friendship that wins our hearts. They are literally and figuratively each other's wingman, and when Goose tragically dies, we're not sure Maverick will be able to pull himself out of his grief. The moment: Either Goose helping Mav with the ladies by accompanying him on "You've Lost That Loving Feeling," or Mav cradling Goose's lifeless body in the water.
  • 8. Dally, Johnny and Ponyboy - The Outsiders: There's two love stories going on in this one; first there's Johnny, the faithful friend to Ponyboy, who accidentally kills someone from the rival gang when Ponyboy's life is in danger. Johnny's also the kind of friend who will listen to Ponyboy quote Robert Frost and find it beautiful. Then there's Dally, the tough older guy who gives them money to escape the murder rap, checks in on them with food, and reveals his secret hero heart when they're in danger. The moment: Either Johnny dying from serious burns, while quoting Robert Frost: "Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold." Or Dally's intense reaction, bitching Ponyboy out to hide his anguish while he tries not to cry over Johnny's death.
  • 7. Seth and Evan - Superbad: On the surface, this is a vulgar, profanity-laced homage to teenagers trying to get laid. But the real heart of the movie is Seth and Evan's friendship. Their expletive-ridden rants are merely a cover to avoid talking about the impending change in their friendship when they leave for different colleges. It eventually comes spilling out as they fight in the street (and end up holding hands), and when they do get to the party, Seth selflessly rescues an unconscious Evan from the cops. The moment: The drunken "I love you's" in the sleeping bags would definitely count, but my money's on the moment they part ways at the mall, each with a potential dreamgirl: Evan uncomfortably watches Seth walk away, while Seth keeps craning his head up the escalator, unwilling to let Evan out of his sight.
  • 6. Butch and Sundance - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: Definitely the gruffest duo on this list, the bromance is never obvious, but come on: they spend the whole movie griping at each other, but we know deep down there's no where else they'd rather be. Always watching the other person's back, Butch is the brains, Sundance in the brawn, and they make a beautiful pair of criminals. They're so close it's even okay that they're in love with the same woman. The moment: Wounded and surrounded by the Bolivian army, they patch each other up, make light of the dire situation, pretend it's all going to be all right, and run out together in a blaze of glory, immortalized in that final freeze frame, side by side.
  • 5. Jerry and Rod - Jerry Maguire: These guys just love feeling sorry for themselves. Which is why they need each other. Rod is loyal, and gives Jerry a lot of useful advice about how to date a single mother, and Jerry advises Rod to remove the giant chip on his shoulder. By the end of the movie, they're hugging and crying in front of reporters and photogs, shameless in their platonic love. The moment we knew: When Rod is on a talk show and finds out about his lucrative new deal he thanks everyone he knows, then says, "Wait, wait, I'm forgetting someone. Jerry Maguire. My agent. You are my ambassador of quan, man!" That is the moment that makes me tear up every time, without fail.
  • 4. Dunbar, Wind In His Hair and Kicking Bird - Dances With Wolves: I'm a sucker for this one. I love that Dunbar bonds with Kicking Bird about learning and understanding each other, and I love that his relationship with Wind in His Hair is initially antagonistic and is entirely about instinct and emotions, which makes it that much better when they bond over "Good Trade." Warms my heart. The moment we knew: The morning Dunbar will leave the Sioux forever, he and Kicking Bird exchange gifts, the ultimate symbol of friendship and respect. But the clinching moment for me is Wind In His Hair, perched on a high cliff, watching his friend leave and shouting, "Dances With Wolves. I am Wind In His Hair. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?" BAWLING here.
  • 3. Andy and Red - The Shawshank Redemption: Who doesn't love this one? Red is a cynical, worn down, used to the disappointment of life in prison. But when Andy Dufresne comes into his life he is reminded of the simple joys of life, like drinking a beer outside on a hot day and listening to classical music. Andy reminds Red to hope. And so Red does. Even when Andy escapes, Red hopes for a day when he might see his friend again... The moment we knew: ...and then he does. After a long trip, he makes it to that Pacific Coast and as the camera rises father away, we see these two friends approach each other on the beach, together again.
  • 2. Riggs and Murtaugh - Lethal Weapon 1-4: I have a weakness for good ol' Riggs and Murtaugh. Before Mel Gibson was crazy and Danny Glover did commercials for Windsor Pilates, they were my favorite buddy cop duo ever. Riggs' sarcastic rebel collides with family man Murtaugh's irritation so beautifully, I don't even mind watching Lethal Weapon 4. The banter, the man-love, Murtaugh's constant fear that Riggs with sleep with his daughter, the constant refrain "I'm too old for this shit." Ah, love it all. The moment: My personal favorite is Lethal Weapon 3 (love Rene Russo!) so it's the one I'm most familiar with, as far as great bromance moments go. It would be easy to say the scene of Murtaugh breaking down while Riggs yells at him about what his retirement will do to their partnership, but I think the more telling scene occurs earlier in the film: when Murtaugh accidentally fires his gun while placing it into his holster, Riggs goes nuts, cussing up a storm and knocking over lockers, convincing everyone the sound they heard was not a gunshot, but Riggs freaking out. And he does it all to save Murtaugh's ass. Can you feel the love?
  • 1. Everyone Male - Lord of the Rings trilogy: This is the movie that inspired this list. Obviously the extremely loving relationship between Sam and Frodo is the heart of the bromance here, but really, there are, like, 12 bromances going on in this movie. Aragorn and Legolas, Merry and Pippin, Gandalf and Frodo, Leogolas and Gimli, Boromir and Faramir, and on and on and on. It's full of more man love than I've ever seen in a single (or three) films in my entire life. And it's all completely platonic and sweet and touching and practically chokes me with it's goodwill. And I mean that in a good way. The moment: There are plenty to choose from, and I'm really tempted to choose one involving all 4 hobbits, or the big reunion scene between the fellowship at the end of RotK, but I'm gonna have to go with the one that packs the single greatest emotional punch: Sam carrying Frodo the last yards to Mt. Doom. "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you."

2 comments:

Heather said...

This is HILARIOUS. But I take serious offense to the fact that goose and maverick are # 9?!?! They should be #1. It's science.

p.s. Hi gal, I miss you. How's life?

Al the Gal said...

Glad you enjoyed it! Writing it KILLED me DEAD!

Simple answer: while the Mav/Goose bromance is epic, I just don't like the movie as much as all the others on my list. And my top 5 all make me cry like a baby, and Top Gun don't. Though I don't blame anyone who loves it.

P.S. Yo - miss you too! :) You've been hella busy. Life is dull and occasionally sucks. Our puppy had Parvo this week (is thankfully all right now) so we got to go on a marathon cleaning and disinfectant spree. Good news - our house now permanently smells like bug spray and you can eat off of every flat surface.