Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What's the Best Superhero Name?

With the rash of superhero movies that come out faithfully every summer, stupid questions like this inevitably find their way into my brain. (Btw, did you know that there are plans to make film versions of Captain America, the Flash, Wolverine, Justice League of America, and Green Lantern? Do we need movies about every comic book hero, ever? I think not. We will be overrun!)

So I went to see Iron Man a week ago (and he may be my new favorite, replacing Batman, but only because Robert Downey, Jr. is amazing!) and I started thinking about the lameness of so many superhero names. Their powers and appeal are debatable - all have their merits - but so many of their names are unimaginative.

I have compiled a list of the best names I could find, among the more well-known superheroes, and they are available to vote on in the poll to your left. Remember, it's the name that counts, not the coolness factor of the superhero. Only the name.

But because you can't debate the cache' of names without being drawn to judge the merits of the heroes, I have also included a poll to vote on your favorite superhero. I picked mostly biggies, but if your particular favorite isn't listed, feel free to comment with it here.

I know this is a fairly prosaic poll (I'm sure we have all voiced our favorite superheroes many times before) but I just can't sit through the plethora of summer movies without being drawn to this question again and again!

4 comments:

Damon said...

Little known fact. I have tons of comic books at my moms house

Al the Gal said...

Ooooohhh, good to know. X-Men fan, huh? Do you think the movies are any good?

Heather said...

That is a little known fact Damon!

p.s. I voted for Mister Fantastic...I don't even know which super hero he is...but he sounds great. How about Mr. Tremendous?

Al the Gal said...

Mister Fantastic the the leader of the Fantastic Four. He's really stretchy.

Heh heh, Mr. Tremendous....
You crack me up.