Sunday, May 25, 2008

All Alone in the Dark


One of the links I posted on Sunday was to an article on the Scanners blog titled "Movies Too Personal to Share With an Audience." It raises the question: Do we each have certain movies that we only watch in private? Are some movies just too special to risk being shared with others?

For the most part, I don't think I have that problem. If you know me, and most of you do, you know I'm the kind of person who thrives on the high of watching a beloved movie of mine with a first-timer - the rush of watching r
eactions to something I admire. I do it with TV shows, movies, music, music videos, just about anything I love, I force others to experience, hoping for that same reaction from them. It's like reliving the high of seeing it for the first time.

However, I do think there are some titles I would be reluctant to share with others. Some movies are just too weird. Secretary covers sadomasochism with an odd dark humor, but many of the fetishes and the way they are expressed would probably turn others off. Even if I understand the implicit sweetness of their intention, I wouldn't want to watch others have a negative reaction to that. Can you say "Awk-ward." I recently discovered Me and You and Everyone We Know which portrays a relationship through whimsy; it's pretty strange and unusual. It also has some scenes of teenage sexuality that are completely innocent, but could seem subversive to many. I think these movies are great, but I don't think I'd want to watch them with anybody, and I wouldn't recommend them to most.

There are a lot of movies that I have watched with others many times, and it's no problem, but I prefer to watch them alone because then I can cry in peace! The Bridges of Madison County in particular is a movie I can cry buckets over. I'm not sure exactly why (the movie didn't even rank in my Top 100) but for some reason, I put this on when I need to have a good cathartic cry. And it's usually better to do that without Elizabeth teasing me, and without making my throat sore trying to choke back the tears. Once I had an "inspirational cry movie fest" which included Field of Dreams, October Sky, and Dead Poets Society. That was definitely done alone, but I frequently watch these titles with the fam. Also love to watch (and cry over) Legends of the Fall and A River Runs Through It alone, although privacy is not necessary.

Another category: nostalgic movies. I made Elizabeth watch Summer Magic (one of the lesser Haley Mills/Disney productions) with me last year and she still hasn't forgiven me. I guess it's not that great, but I will forever love it because I loved it as a kid. Unfortunately, that quality isn't transferable. I would also include The Gnome Mobile (another old Disney flick), the original That Darn Cat, and Gidget in this category. (Loving Gidget is kinda embarrassing and I don't blame anyone for finding it a hokey piece of malarkey, but it makes me happy! Don't you wish life were as easy as a '60's beach flick? I do.)

So, as to the actual question: Movies that must be watched alone because they are just too personal to share with others at the same time. I don't have many; I've been blessed with a pretty awesome set of friends and family who also dig movies - all kinds of movies - and I can generally find at least one other person who will enjoy a movie with me (as long as I choose the friend wisely). Magnolia is a possibility, although I have enjoyed watching this with others. However, there's something about it's length, tone, and sense of loneliness that makes it appropriate to watch alone. I think I feel it deeper when in the privacy of my bedroom. And The Virgin Suicides, while being a film I have watched with Elizabeth, is also something that feels somewhat sacred and should be watched alone.

So, I guess I'm a pretty bad example of this concept. There aren't many things that I hold to be special enough to not try and find SOMEONE who will share that affinity with me. There are some things that absolutely should not be watched alone. The TV show "Firefly" had a small, but devout fanbase and I was introduced to it on DVD by a friend. Last summer we went to watch a special screening of the follow-up movie Serenity at a theater in Portland, with a crowd full of "Firefly" fans. That was a hoot. It's nice to watch a movie where you know every person in the audience loves all the characters and storylines as much as you do. It's especially awesome to watch it within a fan community because you can cheer and clap and boo outloud along with every other person in the audience. That is so fun!

So what about you guys? Any movies you prefer to watch alone?

5 comments:

Heather said...

I don't really have any...but I do have several that I love but can't talk anyone around to watch repeatedly with me (The Temptations, Look Who's Coming To Dinner & Dave Chapelle's Block Party)

p.s. a river runs through it makes me cry too.....Love completely without complete understanding....every fucking time.

Anonymous said...

Terms of Endearment is the one that makes me cry everytime.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say!
Wooohoo for Firefly!
And see Al, I do read your blog! And think its great! :)

Al the Gal said...

Someday I'm gonna do a Top 10 of my biggest tearjerkers.

Sarah, all I have to say is it's about damn time! ;)

Andrea said...

If you thought Firefly was fun you must join me for a midnight showing of Harry Potter. (Seriously--this last time a group of 5th grade girls, all dressed as Harry accused me of cutting them in line (what!?) and then told on me TO THEIR DAD!) It's amazing! Ursula got a DARK MARK TATTOO (temporary...but still)

As far as by myself...Secretary for sure...that's just awkward...and for me I will fess up and say: Freaky Friday. No joke. That part at the end right before they switch back...makes me SOB every time.

love you!