Saturday, May 3, 2008

Blowing My Mind


  • The continuing coverage of the Miley Cyrus photo "scandal." I think we all agree it was not the smart thing to do, mainly because she had to know it would get this much negative press. Personally, I don't think the bare back shot is really all that horrendous - it does look arty - but I don't think Miley is in immediate danger of becoming the next Lindsey or Britney so can all the entertainment news shows PLEASE STOP COVERING THIS AND CREATING A "SCANDAL" OUT OF A SIMPLE ERROR IN JUDGEMENT! Today they interviewed DONNIE AND MARIE OSMOND about their thoughts on Miley Cyrus and her inappropriate photos and "where are her parents?" and I cannot take another stupid interview like that. Please, please, please COVER SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!

  • "Paper Planes" by M.I.A. : This song was featured in the Pineapple Express trailer and I cannot stop playing it. It's so not my usual style but makes me so happy! I wish I had this on a loop in my head - I would be a far more pleasant, proactive, and congenial person if I could.


  • Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" essays are great. Of the 200 titles in his books, I have seen 66 of them. Not bad considering many of them are foreign and difficult to procure. However, at this point I have no excuse for my continuing ignorance of Citizen Kane, The Big Heat, 12 Angry Men, Shane, Chinatown, Lawrence of Arabia, and Sunset Blvd. Came across two really great quotes as well: 1) in the forward from Ebert's book comes this quote about critic Derek Malcolm; "his definition of a great movie: any movie he could not bear the thought of never seeing again." 2) advice about the process of writing, from columnist Bill Lyon: "(1)-Once you begin, keep on until the end. How do you know how the story should end until you find out where it's going? (2)-The Muse visits during creation, not before. Don't wait for inspiration, just plunge in." So, so true.

  • The wardrobe of Chuck Bass on "Gossip Girl": This just amuses me to no end. My favorite character, and he just wears the most ridiculous clothes, yet he somehow pulls them off and they actually suit the character. Doesn't make them any less funny. He actually pulls off a suit real nice, but he almost always pairs it with a bow-tie or a cravat - and not just any bow-tie, but polka dot or metallic gold, and usually a pink cravat! I love it!

  • I've written ahead for a lot of this month. Coming soon, in honor of it's imminent big screen release, expect a couple pieces on "Sex and the City"; later in the month I'll be doing a couple things highlighting musicals (after my Top 100 list, I realized it's a genre I really love and should talk about a little more); I also have some awesome Check This Out movies, cool essay ideas, and hopefully I'll be seeing a new movie or two so I can write a review! But I wanna know, what do you guys want to see? I'm not hurting for ideas or anything, there are plenty of things to keep me busy and entertained, but I wouldn't mind if you gave me some suggestions of things you'd wanna read. As long as you don't expect me to talk intelligently about hip-hop, I wouldn't mind doing some research into an area y'all are interested in.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oohhh..M.I.A. Gal I am impressed. Most of her stuff is way too crazy for me, but shes interesting, Usually I can't understand a damn thing she says (which is a sticking point for me) but i REALLY like paper planes. Okay...also, random but somehow I feel related points. The Roots are going to be in Eugene in June. You should know what I'm talking about because they were all over Dave Chapelle's Block Party, which you seemed to enjoy. Anyway - my point in all of this is - lets go! I think I'll blog about it.

Can NOT wait for the Sex & the City posts. Can I call dibs on seeing this movie with you on May 30? Also, can I suggest a girls evening reminicent of the old Dawson's Creek Marathons in which we watch several Sex & The City episodes building up to the opening of the movie? Would that be over the top?

As for your question regarding what we want to see you blog about - I would like to see a feature on your current research into the "Hottness Quotient" How about a monthly or maybe even weekly post where you let us try to stump you on Six Degrees to Kevin Bacon? More lists.

Al the Gal said...

When I watch the M.I.A. video I think "This is so not me," but the music alone is so wonderful and somehow doesn't seem like hip-hop (not that I hate all hip-hop, but I never would have thought that from the music alone. Weird, huh?) That's a maybe on the Roots...depends on financing for me, although it would be fun to do something you really love with you.

TOTALLY LOVE THE "SEX & THE CITY" MARATHON IDEA!!! I've already been watching Seasons 1&2 for research purposes, but watching together, like the Dawson days of yore, would be soooooo fantastic! And I'm down on seeing the movie together, although I should check with Andrea that she won't mind if I see it without her first. (She also loves SATC, and gets back from Africa June 11th. However, she saw Harry Potter 5 first without us, so she does technically owe me one!)

I do have to pick up the "Quantum Hotness Quotient" (don't you love how we each call it by totally different names all the time!). As for the Kevin Bacon thing - I feel like you would be the only one participating, and what if I do it on a day you're traveling? Then I'll have a lonely Kevin Bacon post with no comments. That makes me sad.

I could do lists 24-7, but if I do more than 2-3 a month, I'll burn out real fast cause eventually all my examples will be from the same movies and it will become redundant. But I do love them dearly!

Andrea said...

This is my second attempt to write this comment. Eeesh.

So I officially have no idea what the hell you were talking about in approximately 97% of this blog. My pop culture IQ is apparently dead.

Also, don't wait for me to see Sex and the City, I will either see it alone, with friends, or I will drag you there for a second viewing. Whatever way, I plan on sneaking in a burrito, and therefore, it will be a perfect experience.

Lastly, I would love to read your opinions about movies that either are reputed to have broken down boundaries (ie Spike Lee's 'Do the Right Thing') or claim to show the "real world" in one way or another. One thing I have noticed in the few movies I watch over here, is that Africa and Africans in film are always portrayed within societal stereotyping, both in obviously racist movies ('Coming to America', ick) and also those that claim to be true in their interpretation, like 'Blood Diamond'--I know how I feel, but what do the film world and movie critics think about supposedly societally conscious film making?

That got a lot deeper than I intended...sorry. love you.