Sunday, July 13, 2008

Great Link, and A New Feature!


For all you "Lost" fans, I found an absolutely gut-splitting Top 10 List of the Most Worthless Lost Characters over at TWoP. Really funny! Read it Here!


NEW FEATURE!!! Heather is constantly suggesting new list topics (and hinting that I should do an ongoing feature where all of you can give me list ideas). I've been pretty apprehensive about this cause I don't wanna have list burnout and just mention the same movies over and over again. However, both Heather and Andrea mentioned list topics that have stuck in my head and I was forced to write all the ideas down, so I thought, what the hell? So I'm gonna post my Top 10 for each of their ideas and I want you guys to comment here with list ideas you'd like to see for my next blog on this topic. I'll still be doing my more in-depth, bi-monthly Top 10 Lists of my own choosing, but for now we're gonna give this a try too.

Top 10 Ending Credits Songs:

  • 10. "500 Miles" by The Proclaimers: Benny and Joon
  • 9. "Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright III: Knocked Up
  • 8. "Have You Met Miss Jones" by Robbie Williams: Bridget Jones's Diary
  • 7. "Wish You Were Here" by Sparklehorse: Lords of Dogtown
  • 6. "Slow Ride" by Foghat: Dazed and Confused
  • 5. "This Used to Be My Playground" by Madonna: A League of Their Own
  • 4. "Into the West" by Annie Lennox: LotR: The Return of the King
  • 3. "If We Hold On Together" by Diana Ross: The Land Before Time
  • 2. "Hot Hot Hot" by Bina Mistry with Cast: Bend it Like Beckham
  • 1. "Feel Flows" by The Beach Boys: Almost Famous (see below)



Top 10 Movies with a Color in the Title:

  • 10. Red River (1948): Epic western with John Wayne and Montgomery Clift.
  • 9. A Clockwork Orange (1971): Stanley Kubrick's disturbing look at futuristic violence and behavior modification.
  • 8. Fried Green Tomatoes (1991): Great sprawling Southern storytelling, with female friend ship at the center and a dynamite quartet of performances from Mary Louise Parker, Mary Stuart Masterson, Jessica Tandy and Kathy Bates.
  • 7. Yellow Submarine (1968): Psychedelic animation paired with humor, Beatles music and a fairly ingenious use of the lyrics in their song catalogue.
  • 6. The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934 or 1999 TV): A foppish English Lord masquerades as caped crusader The Scarlett Pimpernel, rescuing British royals from the madness of the French Revolution. Both the 1934 version starring Leslie Howard and the TV miniseries with Richard E. Grant are marvelous fun.
  • 5. The Gold Rush (1925): Charlie Chaplin's silent masterpiece. This is the one where he's so hungry, he cooks and tries to eat his shoes. Also contains the iconic scene where he sticks forks in potatoes and makes them dance.
  • 4. Anne of Green Gables (1985 TV): The perfect childhood story. Anne is feisty, smart, embarrassing, stubborn and spunky, not to mention has a wild imagination that gets her into tons of trouble. Brilliantly acted by Megan Follows, with support from Richard Farnsworth and Colleen Dewhurst.
  • 3. The Color Purple (1985): Steven Spielberg tackles Alice Walker's iconic novel about black woman Celie's struggle to overcome her tragic history and emotionally abusive marriage. Proved Whoopi Goldberg could really act.
  • 2. The Red Balloon (1956): Imaginative 36 minute French short film following a young boy as he finds a red balloon. Incredibly difficult to find nowadays, but universally charming and inspiring.
  • 1. Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy: Blue, White and Red (1993, 1994, 1994): Director Krzysztof Kieslowski explores contemporary French society in three films named for the colors of the French flag, and representing liberty (Blue), equality (White), and Fraternity (Red). Starring, respectively, actresses Juliette Binoche, Julie Delpy, and Irene Jacob.

Hope you enjoyed and I'd love to hear what lists you wanna see next time! :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh! Fun lists. I liked the inclusion of the Madonna song from A League of Their Own. That one always gets ya at the end of the movie for some reason! I think there should have been some horror movie one in there - they always have the most terrifying music at the end, and I have to yell at Zeb to turn the DVD off before I get too scared to sleep. But, alas, I couldn't think of a good one specifically - and it's not really "your bag" so, I forgive you ;)

Ideas for next time: Movies with Non-Traditional endings (think Romantic Comedy "The Breakup" and in the end they actually break up!??!?!?!?!?) Or how about Movies with Villains whose side you are secretly on?

Al the Gal said...

Oooooh...those lists are gonna be challenging!

I thought you'd appreciate the "League of Their Own" shoutout! And you're totally right about me and horror movies. Don't watch them enough to know or remember which songs are on during the credits, and probably wouldn't much care it I did.

Anonymous said...

I have to say thanks for that Lost link! So funny! And hooray that they put Kate on there! Because she is totally worthless... ;) seriously one of my least favorite characters! (hmm most of them qualify as that these days!)