Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The AFI's 10 Top 10


This particular topic made the blog-rounds last week, but apparently none of the peopl
e I know (the people who read my blog) watched the AFI's list of the Top 10 films of 10 different genres, so I thought I'd let you know what distinguished films were chosen. Then, if you feel so inclined, you can bitch about it. No one is ever very satisfied by the AFI's list as most of the films are older, or established classics that are on every list ever, or because AFI stands for American Film Institute, no films that aren't American make the cut. It is nice to see some films mentioned that don't make the standard "AFI Top 100" list, and by using genres, they can accomplish that task. However, I don't know that Courtroom Drama and Fantasy, or even Epic, are genres that can sustain this kind of attention. A lot of the films in these categories I would place in genres like Comedy or War, but instead find them in genres I think of in different ways. It can be disconcerting. And with 10 different genres chosen, they don't even address Comedy, Horror or Musicals, which seem like three biggies to me. I would rather have seen a list of them. But I digress. Here are the top 10 in each genre, and my reactions.


ANIMATION

10. Finding Nemo (2003)
9. Cinderella (1950)
8. Shrek (2001)
7. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
6. Toy Story (1995)
5. Fantasia (1940)
4. The Lion King (1994)
3. Bambi (1942)
2. Pinocchio (1940)
1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Most of this set is satisfying, or at least not surprising. My quibbles are
as follows: In no universe is Fantasia or The Lion King better than Beauty and the Beast. I know that The Lion King is one of the more popular cartoons of the last 10 years, but that doesn't make it a better animated film that Beauty and the Beast (the first and only animated feature ever nominated for Best Picture). Also, I have a problem with Shrek being ahead of Finding Nemo or Cinderella. Although it tweaked the fairytale formula and was wildly funny, it just doesn't seem as important in the long run. (Perhaps I'm just suffering Mike Myers overload and am still bitter about the less-than-mediocre Shrek the Third.) As for the Top 3, I'm not surprised, but they're not my favorites. I have always found Bambi and Pinocchio too dour and depressing for my taste. Perhaps it's just the heartbreaking fact that Bambi's mother dies, or that Pinocchio is such a little lying turd, but those are films I have hardly watched since childhood. (And Heather, you wanna talk films that are "dirty" - I'd say both of these look dingy and muddied to me and affects my enjoyment of them.) I would much rather have seen Sleeping Beauty or The Little Mermaid make the list. Just my personal preference. Or maybe something NOT by Disney for a change. (The Iron Giant is a great animated film from Warner Brothers.) As for Snow White, it was the first feature length animated film and it set the bar high. It has become one of my lesser faves, but I won't deny it's impact. It's the Citizen Kane of animation: it doesn't look so special anymore, but it paved the way for all that was to come. Can't begrudge it that.


FANTASY

10. Big (1988)
9. The Thief of Bagdad (1940)
8. Groundhog Day (1992)
7. Harvey (1950)
6. Field of Dreams (1989)
5. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
4. King Kong (1933)
3. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
2. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
1. The Wizard of Oz (1939)

This genre was tough for me to accept. Technically all the films on it are fantasies. But in my mind Field of Dreams belongs in Sports, King Kong belongs in Epic, It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street belong in Holiday, and Groundhog Day in Comedy. But the AFI sees this genre more broadly, and they're not exactly wrong. And to be fair, I had a hard time thinking of films that are pure fantasy and also good enough to be in the Top 10 of this genre. (As much as I love the Harry Potter series, those films don't belong here. They're fun, but they're just a decent representation of a great source novel.) As for the list as it stands, It's a Wonderful Life should be higher that LOtR, and Groundhog Day and Field of Dreams should be Top 5, but that's just me.


SCI-FI

10. Back to the Future (1985)

9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
8. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

7. Alien (1979)
6. Blade Runner (1982)
5. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
4. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
3. E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial (1982)
2. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

I'd have to say this set is pretty great. Not necessarily all my favorites, but they drew from many areas of science fiction and it's not just straight monster fare. They got some classics (the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day the Earth Stood Still), blockbuster crowd pleasers (Back to the Future, Terminator 2, and Star Wars), the risky and subversive groundbreakers (Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey), and even snuck in the innocent children's fable E.T. I appreciate that they picked the more atmospheric Alien over it's popular sequel Aliens (although both are great), but I think The Empire Strikes Back is the better of the Star Wars films. But I'll stop complaining because I think they got this one about right. (And even though I'm not a big fan of 2001, I still support it's #1 slot.)


SPORTS

10. Jerry Maguire (1996)
9. National Velvet (1944)

8. Breaking Away (1979)
7. Caddyshack (1980)
6. The Hustler (1961)
5. Bull Durham (1988)
4. Hoosiers (1986)
3. The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
2. Rocky (1976)
1. Raging Bull (1980)

A decent Top 10. National Velvet hasn't aged well (it's a little too precious) but it's not bad (and they had to get something else old in there), Caddyshack belongs
in Comedy, but I admire that they're trying to include a variety of sports, love the inclusion of Breaking Away and The Hustler, and though Raging Bull is in the AFI's Top 4 Films of All Time, I just am not that fond of it and I don't think of it as a Sports film. Yes it has boxing, and it's beautifully made, but I didn't like a single character in that film. I may need to rewatch it to clarify my thoughts, but there it is. Also, I don't think Pride of the Yankees should be so high. Yes it's iconic and tugs at the heartstrings, but it seems like a dated, sentimental film that probably isn't as great a film as it is fond remembrance of Lou Gehring. Also, would have liked to see Chariots of Fire, or a sports film about running (gotta represent my roots!) but not sure how many great ones there are. And could we get a sports movie about a girl? Seriously!?!? Love and Basketball? Bend it Like Beckham? Any other ideas? We play sports too!


WESTERN

10. Cat Ballou (1965)
9. Stagecoach (1939)
8. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)
7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
(1969)
6. The Wild
Bunch (1969)
5. Red River (1948)
4. Unforgiven (1992)
3. Shane (1953)
2. High Noon (1952)
1. The Searchers (1956)

I am not well-versed in the Western. That said I really like Butch Cassidy and Unforgiven. I appreciate the inclusion of Cat Ballou because it's not typical (though from what I've read, I'm not sure it deserves to be here), and McCabe and Mrs. Miller, which is an unconventional Altman film which could use a shout-out. We don't want an entire list of John Ford and John Wayne. But bravo for The Searchers and High Noon; they're on my 'Need to Rent' list. (And as has been mentioned on other blogs, had films from all countries been eligible, we would definitely needed to include The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, and something from Sam Peckinpah.)


GANGSTER

10. Scarface (1983)
9. Little Caesar (1931)

8. The Public Enemy (1931)
7. Pulp Fiction (1994)
6. Scarface: The Shame of a Nation (1932)
5. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
4. White Heat (1949)
3. The Godfather Part II (1974)
2. Goodfellas (1990)
1. The Godfather (1972)


I saw each and every one of these films in a film class (with the possible exception of White Heat - but it's classic Cagney; who hasn't seen the "Ma, I'm on Top of the World!" sce
ne somewhere before). It's a pretty unimaginative list, but it's probably accurate. This genre doesn't get much better than The Godfather and Goodfellas, Bonnie and Clyde changed everything in 1967, and both versions of Scarface are iconic and a study in style and the morality of their times. So well done, I guess!


COURTROOM DRAMA

10. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
9. A Cry in the Dark (1984)

8. In Cold Blood (1967)
7.
Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
6. Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
5. A Few Good Men (1992)
4. The Verdict (1982)
3. Kramer Vs. Kramer (1979)
2. 12 Angry Men (1957)

1. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

This is the genre that seems excessively contrived to me. However, it also offers a sampling of more films that people have probably never heard of. I've only seen 3 of them. Classic Paul Newman (gotta love him!) in The Verdict, In Cold Blood, Witness for the Prosecution and Anatomy of a Murder are all praised to kingdom come, and To Kill a Mockingbird is classic. Don't think A Few Good Men should be so high (it's effective and competent, but not better than some of the films beneath it) but you can't argue with the one-two punch of Mockingbird and 12 Angry Men.


MYSTERY

10. The Usual Suspects (1995)
9. Dial M for Murder (1954)

8. Blue Velvet (1986)
7. North By Northwest (1959)
6. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
5. The Third Man (1949)
4. Laura (1944)
3. Rear Window (1954)
2. Chinatown (1974)
1. Vertigo (1958)


At first glance this looks like an homage to Hitchcock, but let's give the man his du
e; this genre belongs to him and no one has ever done it better as often as he did. Vertigo, Rear Window, and North By Northwest are classics, the best ever, and Psycho would have made the horror category had they included it. And bravo for including Dial M for Murder (my mom's favorite). I suppose some will think it's not as good as Strangers on a Train or Rebecca, but it works so well precisely because we know who the villain is all along; it's just a matter of how he'll get caught. As for the rest of the list, The Third Man, Laura, and The Maltese Falcon are all superior mysteries that aren't seen in wide enough audiences. (I watched them all in film classes as well and they were top notch stories - CHECK THEM OUT!) Plus, they threw us something by placing "new classic" The Usual Suspects on the list. That should keep us youngsters happy. I honestly can't think of anything better than what they've chosen.


ROMANTIC COMEDY

10. Sleepless in Seattle (1992)
9. Harold and Maude (1979)

8. Moonstruck (1987)
7. Adam's Rib (1949)
6. When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
5. The Philadelphia Story (1940)
4. Roman Holiday (1953)
3. It Happened One Night (1934)

2. Annie Hall (1977)
1. City Lights (1931)

This one's hard because Romantic Comedies appeal to such specific tastes. No lover of the genre will ever be satisfied by the same ones. I liked to see the unconventional Harold and Maude considered, though I don't think it's held up over the years. The Philidelphia Story and It Happened One Night may seem archaic, but are the cornerstones of the romantic comedy formula and are still assured, entertaining films 60 years later. I'm not the biggest fan of Annie Hall, plus it doesn't seem to adhere to the usual romantic comedy tone, but the AFI is in love with it - whatcha gonna do? City Lights at #1 really surprised me, but technically, this Chaplin classic is a romantic comedy and hopefully it's inclusion on the list will inspire
younger viewers to seek out the overlooked talents of Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd. I also think we could do better than Roman Holiday and Adam's Rib, but any suggestions on my part would be my own ridiculous personal preference. I will say that I (and many other bloggers) were disheartened to see the exclusion of The Princess Bride on either the fantasy or romantic comedy list.


EPIC

10. The Ten Commandments (1956)
9. Reds (1981)

8. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
7. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
6. Titanic (1997)
5. Spartacus (1960)

4. Gone With the Wind (1939)
3. Schindler's List (1993)
2. Ben-Hur (1959)
1. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

The last, and for me, most divisive genre. Again, technically accurate, but to me Spartacus, All Quiet on the Western Front and Saving Private Ryan belong in War, not Epic. But I'll let that pass. The Ten Commandments may be the most epic of any film, ever, but does that mean it's good? NO! A great story, perhaps, but the image of Charlton Heston as Moses, hair blowing in the CGI wind, is just laughable. I do not accept it's place on this list. As much as I love Titanic, Saving Private Ryan is a much better film and belongs higher on the list. Also, according to the AFI Top 100 Films list just last year, Gone With the Wind was #6, Lawrence of Arabia was #7, Ben-Hur was #72, and Schindler's List was #9. WTF??? So they're saying that Gone With the Wind is the best film, but just not as epic as Ben-Hur? I blame Charlton Heston dying. I think that all those memorial retrospectives of the chariot race in Ben-Hur made film historians go over all nostalgic. That's the only way I can account for it's meteoric rise from #72 overall, to the 2nd most epic film ever. (And probably accounts for the #10 placement of The Ten Commandments, come to think of it.) I need hardly add that I vehemently disagree!

So there they are - the AFI's infinite wisdom of movie genre placement. Hope I've broken down my own feelings clearly enough for you. Give me a shout-out with your own beefs about the list. I'm sure everyone's got one. (And Damon, if you comment, please say something other than "Rocky should have been #1!!!!" I think we all know that by now! :) Of course, now that I've drawn attention to it, that's of course exactly what you'll say! Damn me and my big mouth!)


4 comments:

Heather said...

Where to start, well ironically, I had the most beef with the animation category. Strange isn't it? I don't even like cartoons, but I think my main problem stemmed from the fact that I started out reading the list as if it were arranged 1 - 10, not 10 - 1. WTF Finding Nemo! Number 1 animation of all time? I think NOT!! Ha, but then i figured out the old organizational pattern and I felt much better.

The fantasy Genre sucked. I guess they could have just listed Lord of the Rings 1, Lord of the Rings 2, Lord of the Rings 3, Harry Potter 1...ect. and that would have sucked too. But I refuse to classify Big & Field of Dreams in fantasy!

Sports was good for the most part, but I am disgruntled that Sandlot isn't there. Come on people! I guess it's not AFI style. And also, you're so right about the snubbing of female athletes movies - can you say A League of Their Own or even Million Dollar Baby??? Haters wanna hate.

Sci-Fi - I have no comments here, but in relation to our discussion about my distaste for Goonies & Cartoons, I also absolutely despise the movie ET. Oh yes, and movies with animals that talk. I hate those too.

Westerns, the only western I think I actually like is Tombstone, oh yeah, and Young Guns. Damn you AFI.

Courtroom Dramas!! Awesome category, I'm going to watch some of those, most of them I've never seen. But I am my mother's (habitual perry mason & matlock watcher) daughter, so I can seriously get down with the courtroom drama. Love To Kill A Mockingbird. That was one of my go -to movies to watch in the store at American Family Video.

I'm also going to make it a point to check out a bunch of those mysteries listed, I've seen several of the Hitchcock's, which I can never ever get enough of.

Wow. I think thats it. You asked for comments. You know you could have broken this up into like 10 posts.

How about a Not Top 10 for each of the categories listed? You name the absolute worst movie you can think of for each one.

Another idea for a future post is you let me, or other loyal blog readers give you a random category and then you have to come up with your own top 10. Like say - movies with talking animals orrrr....movies about teachers...or...BFF movies. Holler at me - I could do this for days.

Damon said...

were you ever a kid heather?

Andrea said...

Okay, here we go:

I agree with you about Beauty and the Beast--definitely better than The Lion King. Also, Snow White will be #1 in animation until forever...:( The fantasy and courtroom drama genres are just contrived...and Field of Dreams should be in sports.
For female sports films all I can think of is League of Their Own and Girlfight...which let's face it: only I like.
I liked Sci-Fi and Mystery and know next-to-nothing about Westerns, so no complaint there. I also very much agree with you about the epics stuff...although I will point out that Ben-Hur DID get more oscar nods than Gone With the Wind...

okay, there you go. I like Heather's idea about you having to come up with a top ten list on a random category of your readers' choice. I am going to suggest films with colors in the title. Have fun.

Heather said...

No Damon, in fact I was not. Thanks for noticing.