Saturday, January 31, 2009

Answers on "Lost" and Mutiny on BSG

Spoilers Ahead!!!!


LOST:

An episode without Jack, Kate, Sayid or Hurley - when was the last time we had that? I'm glad the show is going to focus on those on the island and Desmond equally, cause honestly, Kate and Jack are not my favorite characters right now. And I want more on those Freighties.

Any episode with a focus on Desmond rocks. He and Pe
nny are the OTP of this show for sure. I'm glad that she's decided to go with him and not force an issue between them by being difficult. And how cute is it that their kid is named Charlie? Makes me wanna watch the Season 3 finale all over again! (Although, someone did point out that her father is also unfortunately named Charles, but we all know it's really after our Charlie!)


Kudos to those who called "Other" island man-Jones as actually being Widmore. At least we will start to understand how Widmore knows of the island and why he might want to get back there. Still don't get how Richard Alpert doesn't age, but we do now understand why he came to see Locke as a child and why he thought Locke would pick the compass. That's all a little clearer now.

As for the Freighties, Miles consistantly cracks me up, I have loads of questions about Charlotte and why the time shifts are affecting her differently than everyone else, and I find Daniel Farraday fascinating. I want more of his backstory, as I'm not sure whether to believe him 50% of the time. But I'll give it up for Jeremy Davies: those eyes are doing some fine acting.



BATTLESTAR GALACTICA:

Firstly, last week's episode about the political climate was so great. As someone who's instinctively anit-military control, I under
stood why democratically the Quorum was so opposed to the Cylon alliance. Zarek and Gaeta have some good points, and yes, the Cylons did try to kill them all 4 years ago. If I were a civilian in this fleet, I would most definitely be confused and probably side with Zarek against the Cylons.


But as most of my favorite characters are either Cylon, or somewhat Cylon sympathizers (Tigh, Helo, Tyrol, Athena, Adama, Starbuck - not really a Cylon sympathizer, but would never betray Adama) I can't get on board with this mutiny. Like it or not, unfair as it is, the fleet is not on a situation where they have the luxury of voting everything democratically; the military has to be given some sway, especially as they've been the ones protecting everyone's ass for the last 4 years. Adama and Roslin have made mistakes, but they've rarely been selfish ones. They don't keep power just for the sake of power. Adama does what he thinks is right, and Roslin did everything she could to help them find Earth - and they did. Who could have known it would be destroyed? And I can't believe that after all this time, they fleet doesn't trust them a little more. I get that these are trying times, but I feel like they've earned a little faith, even in the face of this most recent devastation.

(Who else is really feeling for Chief Tyrol right now? His inability to use the right pronoun ("us...them, you....we, uh, I...they....dammit!"), not knowing at all where he fits in (he was so awesome on Galactica tonight, helping out, and then having to find out that Nicky isn't his?!?!?!?! Holy Crap! The TWoP recaplet said it great: "is the revelation that Hera is still the onl
y Shape Of Things To Come, since Cally continues to suck hilariously from beyond the grave. Nicky's dad is actually Brendan "Hot Dog" Costanza, and not Galen at all, which means not only is he a weird-looking kid, but he can't even blame it on being half-Final Fiver. Galen doesn't get to give any more speeches about how she smelled like cabbage, but he does spend the entire time trying to reverse his pronouns and remember he's a Cylon and totally into doing Cylon shit and reading Cylon books and going to Cylon rock and roll shows, even though he's the least Cylony Cylon of all the Cylons.")


With that said, how awesome was tonight'
s episode? It was like the first hour of a great thriller. Again, while I understand at least Gaeta's motivation, this is just unacceptable!!! I was cheering Starbuck on everytime she shot someone down! They were gonna shoot Lee in the face! Racetrack and Skulls? And they rounded up my favorite family, the Agathons, and beat up my beloved Helo, and threw them in the brig, with a promise to rape his Athena! WTF??? Why does every really anti-Cylon person feel the need to rape them? That is really fucked up! You don't have to like them, I understand why you don't, but there's something sick about the constant threat of rape.

Loved seeing Starbuck and Apollo back together. I really don't care whether they are a couple or not, but something just feels right when they've got each other's back
. Also, Adama and Roslin as this affectionate supercouple is really working for me. Her promise to take Gaeta out in the preview for next week was terrifying! Also, about that preview, how ironic is it that Gaeta is (or at least threatening to) giving Adama an unsanctioned trial and blowing him out the airlock (like what was almost done to him) when it was Zareck who originally okay-ed those trials, not Adama. It seems strangely amusing to me.


Favorite Line last episode: "Sometimes I really hate this job." - Adama


3 comments:

Damon said...

I can't wait till they kill Gaeta. I think Starbuck has to be my favorite character. I liked Baltar much better when he had long hair and kept on seeing the 6.

Damon said...

I think Desmond's story line has to be the best.The Kate/Jack story line sucks. They're both really boring and I'm sick of them. I'm pretty sure Clair isn't dead and I'm really intrigued on whats going to happen with her. Who was the lady in the coma? I'm thinking it was the girl that held the gun to Farraday.

Al the Gal said...

BSG: Watching last night, I was definitely cheering for Gaeta to get a bullet to the brain. But I read something on TWoP (I think it had to do with webisodes?) and it helped me understand why Gaeta turned so fast and so harshly. Has to do with what happened when he thought he was helping the Rebels on New Caprica, and has to do with a Cylon he trusted killing everyone in a shuttle to save him in between episodes 1 & 2 of this season. I get why he's fucked up, but try to put Adama out that airlock, and adios mother fucker!!

Starbuck rocks! I love it when she's badass! As for Baltar, I'm still waiting to see how he fits into this season in the grander scheme. I miss his crazy Six visions too (or even that one vision of himself - hilarious), but speaking as a female, I think he's much hotter with the shorter hair. :)

Lost: Desmond is the best, without question. He's pretty much the only character I always like too, and I trust him. I think it's funny that Jack and Kate have had the most focus, and are kinda supposed to be the heroes (?) but Kate is an indecisive brat and Jack's usually a sanctimonious ass.

I'm sure Claire's not dead. I think I read that the producers/writers made a deal with Emilie de Ravin and Claire's not going to appear in season 5, but she will be back in season 6. There's no way she just up and died. She's somehow merged into some aspect of the island.

I don't remember much (if any) of the backstory they gave Farraday last season, so I don't know if they eluded to a coma girl then? As for the current one, she can't be the one with the gun because that was the 1950's and coma girl is in 2007. But, maybe the woman on the island is related to her. I don't know. Farraday was kinda weird about how she looked familiar. Maybe she doesn't age either, like Alpert? The only other explanation would be if she got off the island at some future point during one of the flips, but since the Others don't shift, I don't see how that's possible.