Friday, January 23, 2009

This Week in Chuck


Let's talk this week's "Gossip Girl", shall we? This episode did several important things: 1) it made me remember how awesome Lily can be 2) it made me fall in love with
Nate Archibald and 3) it reminded me of the scary love I have for Blair Waldorf when she's especially crazy. Lily stepped up, was an actual friend and parent to Chuck (how awesome was his list of ways to discredit Uncle Jack? loved it!) and their relationship was pretty much the highlight of the episode.


As for Nate, while his gosh-darned cuteness has never been in question, I don't usually miss him when he's gone. But let me tell you, his attempt to hide that beautifully amused smile while Vanessa gawked at their opera companions just about did me in. Please show, do me a solid and let him interact with Blair, Serena and Chuck more - I miss it. Nate shouldn't be banished to Vanessa-land; he's done nothing to deserve that. Especially when Dan Humphrey is still in the picture.

Finally, while her bi-polar reactions to the college admissions process were insane, I love it when Blair loses it. The single best line of the episode was her delivery of "Witchhunts are my valium, Serena" in the deadest, creepiest voice I have ever heard. Elizabeth and I rewound that scene about 10 times.

Which reminds me of a 4th amazing quality to this episode - Eric. He's the MVP of the entire show. Not to mention a conscience and the only character who has unparalleled goodwill and heart. His one liner to his mother (caught making out in the kitchen with Rufus, post-coitally, ick) was a stunner, as was his entire, German-infused opera tutorial for Rufus. I'm so glad he's been around more this season.

Winner: Honestly, there wasn't much to choose from this week. While Chuck continues to dress in a manner befitting an earnest, equestrian enthusiast, he's not wearing anything crazy. The last outfit that really screamed "Chuck Bass" was the plaid jacket in episode 9. (We're now on episode 16.) I guess the sparkle tux kinda fits. But all I can say about this week's winner is that at least it's pink and the socks match.

No comments: