Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Year's Non-Resolution


I'm typically not one to make any resolutions because I am acutely unable to stick to them. I know this about myself and I respect that. I'm not going to resolve to lose weight or to read more books because that is the one way to be sure I won't. But that doesn't mean I don't have goals or that I don't intend to try and better myself. So although I wouldn't call it a New Year's Resolution, my goal is to stop posting only 5 blogs a month. I used to have a pretty good average going, 12-20 regularly, and I have been heartily ashamed of myself for slacking so monumentally (look for reasons for that in the upcoming post "I Am a Hack"). So, in the coming months, here are some features you can expect to see (I won't put down a timetable as I would be sure to break it):

  • REVIEWS: And I mean a lot of them! I'm sure you've forgotten I ever did this, and though the stress of it is partly why I haven't written one in forever, I can't let that stop me. I'll never get better it I don't keep writing, so write I must. I already have outlines for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, Doubt and Twlight, and there are plans to see and review Revolutionary Road, Frost/Nixon, The Reader, and The Wrestler in coming weeks. That's a lot of reviewing with me being crusty and all, so I may only end up writing reviews on 3/4 of these films. However, there will be reviews!
  • TWILIGHT FEVER: I finally relented, saw the movie (which I enojoyed) and read the books (which, as I suspected I might, I loved more that I should have). I don't know why I'm surprised: I love "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (human/vampire hookups are so tortured!) and my favorite movie in the 4th grade was the Zefferelli version of Romeo and Juliet. Obviously this franchise would appeal to my melodramatic inner child. I won't be joining a Twi-hards cult and Robert Pattinson is not my new celebrity crush, but there will probably be a post or two about why I loved the books so much when they are no where near the quality of my beloved Harry Potter series.
  • THINGS I MISSED, PT. 2: This one is almost done and will probably be the first or second thing posted. I know, I've said it before, but I swear, it really is almost done!
  • 20 FAVORITE ACTORS: Because that favorite actresses list got me thinking and I can't resist a list...
  • I AM A HACK: A full post in which I explain all of my petty insecurities. Can you wait?
  • OSCAR MONTH: I am finally getting in the swing of Awards Season, though with considerably less zeal than usual. But I'm not going to let that stop me. I had a lot of fun writing some Oscar posts and doing Oscar Top 10-lists last year, so I'm going to try and emulate some of that fun again this year. Last year I wrote about the rules for song/score nominations; this year I may try and dig into the criteria for foreign film or documentary entries (every year it seems the Academy misses something that most critics are flabbergasted to explain, and I'd like to understand why). As for the lists, I did my favorite topics last year, but I may try one on the worst winners or the most hideous fashion. I guess we'll see.
  • 100 FAVORITE FILMS: I did this last year too, so it's hardly necessary for another compilation, but I kind of like the idea of adding new entries every year and tracking my film-loving trajectory. Just indulge me.

In the meantime, here are some videos I love:

  • Found this on another blog. It's Kate Winslet's guest appearence as herself on the British sitcom "Extras" in 2005. Remember at the Golden Globes when Ricky Gervais teased her about doing a Holocaust movie? Here's why. Very funny.


  • I know I haven't gotten to BSG yet, and this video will do little to appease Damon, but it's just a little Apollo/Starbuck shipper vid to Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know." Well-edited, and maybe you'll like it, Sarah!


No comments: