Thursday, January 22, 2009

Academy Award Nominations


In a year of many good films, but few spectacular ones, I don't think the Oscars could possibly have gotten it right; the nominations don't contradict that. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button continues to ride its win-less but
hypnotic wave all the way to 13 nominations. The nods for all things technical, it deserves; Best Picture, while not surprising, not so much.

What was surprising is The Reader claiming the 5th Best Pi
cture and Director slot. I haven't seen it, but no one saw that coming. It didn't get overwhelmingly positive reviews and most had written it off. However, it is a Holocaust movie (thanks Ricky Gervais) and director Stephen Daldry is a former two-time nominee (for Billy Elliot and The Hours). I disappointed that WALL-E didn't get a Best Picture nod, and surprised that The Dark Knight or Doubt didn't take the fifth slot. Even Revolutionary Road; they all seemed more likely choices than The Reader. Another big surprise was Kate Winslet; after winning two Golden Globes, the Academy deemed her role in The Reader to be leading rather than supporting, so she only got one nomination, and not for Revolutionary Road. I think this is probably fair, but I really wanted her to get the double nod, and I think she had a better chance of winning that way. I don't know if she can compete with Anne Hathaway or Meryl Streep in Best Actress.

There were a few pleasant surprises: Richard Jenkins stole the 5th actor spot from Clint Eastwood, with his beautifully subtle performance in The Visitor and Melissa Leo got the last Best Actress slot for her much-praised work in the indie Frozen River. The only downside is that her inclusion left Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky) out in the cold. I would have liked to see both of them nominated and Angelina Jolie left out (although I haven't seen Changeling so I really shouldn't judge; just going off what I've read). Michael Shannon's (Revolutionary Road) inclusion in the Supporting Actor category was also a welcome addition given buzz about his performance and a lack of buzz about the film in general.

Overall, most of the nominations don't surprise me. But they don't quite thrill me either. Which may mean I'll actually get to watch the Oscars in relatively indifferent peace this year. The only two films that really knocked me on my ass were WALL-E and Milk, so I'll just cheer any awards that come their way, root for Kate Winslet, (and secretly root for Mickey Rourke). Full list of nominees here.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Sooo, has any actor ever gotten two best actor/actress...oh hell director..nods for two different movies in one year? triviaaaa..

We saw Gran Torino last weekend and I heart Clint Eastwood. Yeah, I know...this is like saying that Omar Vizquel plays good defense. Nevermind this comment. I think I'm going to blog that out.

So why do you have to secretly root for Mickey Rourke?

Speaking of secrets, I secretly think that they nominate Brad & Angie for all their movies just so that they can get those two chumps to get a baby sitter and show up at their shows.

Al the Gal said...

There's a rule against actors and actresses being nominated twice within the same category. That's why there are tons of times when an actor has dual leading/supporting acting nominations (like Cate Blanchett last year) but no actor is ever nominated for two separate films in the same category (like it could have been if Leo had gotten Best Actor nods for both "The Departed" and "Blood Diamond" in 2006.)

There was once in 1944 when Barry Fitzgerald was nominated for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for the same role in "Going My Way" (he won supporting). After that the rules were changed. For actors it's one nomination per category, with different films.

However, the same rule doesn't apply to directors. Or at least it didn't in 2000 when Steven Soderburgh was nominated for Best Director for both "Erin Brochovich" and "Traffic." He won for "Traffic." The rules may have been changed after that, but not that I know of.

Still need to see "Gran Torino." I honestly haven't seen enough of Clint Eastwood the actor, but I do love him as a director. Can't wait to read the blog.

I secretly root for Mickey Rourke because I think that Sean Penn or Frank Langella actually deserves it, but I can't resist a comeback story. Plus, the preview for that film made me cry.

You might be onto something there. I don't think either of their performances should have been nominated, though I do love Brad Pitt as an actor, and the media do love to see them out and about.

Al the Gal said...

Come to think of it, there was one year in the early days of the Oscars, like 1930 or 1931, before Supporting Actor categories, when they nominated several actors and actresses for more than one film. This was before there were limits of 5 nominations per acting category. I think Norma Shearer, Greta Garbo Ronald Coleman and 1 or 2 others got multiple Best Actor/Actress nods. I think both the winners were ones who had gotten dual nominations. But I think that's the only time it's ever happened.

Heather said...

Did Bruce get nominated for Best Song for his work on The Wrestler?

Because that would be great.

Thanks.