Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Coming Soon

With the Summer Preview issue of Entertainment Weekly having recently come out, my appetite has been whet for some summer movie fare. Here's what I'm looking forward to...

  • PRINCE CASPIAN (May 16): I'm a sucker for the Narnia series - some of the best books ever, especially as a kid. All the kids from the first movie are back (and they were all great, plus actually pass for siblings) and the preview just looks awesome. The only book I still remember is "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" so I'm excited to find out what the story has in store.


  • SPEED RACER (May 9): This one looks cheesy-in-a-good-way, and was made by the Wachowski brothers, the creators of The Matrix (hey, the first one was pretty great). Emile Hirsch and Christina Ricci are both on my awesome list right now, and the colors in the film look amazing and very evocative of the character's anime roots! Could be fun! (Oh, and is Matthew Fox from "Lost" the villain? Neato!)


  • WHEN DID YOU LAST SEE YOUR FATHER? (July): I'm also a sucker for a well told tale of family discord, especially between fathers and sons. This one looks appropriately intriguing, and stars Colin Firth and Jim Broadbent, amazing, fabulous actors. Broadbent especially is far less known than he should be.


  • THE HAPPENING (June 13): I know M. Night Shyamalan has faltered with his last two attempts, The Village and Lady in the Water, but I still have some faith. The Sixth Sense and Signs are two amazing movies, and this director does tension and suspense in a way most Hollywood films don't understand, so I'm willing to give him a shot. This one stars Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel (love her) and it's one of the best trailers I've seen so far. It gave me goosebumps.


  • FUGITIVE PIECES (June): Looks gripping, well-acted by a lesser known cast (Rade Serbedzija in particular in under-utilized in popular film), and you generally can't beat a film about Holocaust survivors for emotional resonance.


  • PINEAPPLE EXPRESS (August 8): This one's easy - I love Judd Apatow productions and I love Seth Rogen. The trailer made me laugh out loud. James Franco was so excellent on "Freaks and Geeks" and has since been relegated to boring movie roles, so I'm excited to see him shine. Plus, it looks like the bad guys are played by Gary Cole (Office Space boss, "Um, yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday...") and Craig Robinson (Darryl from 'The Office"!!) so that can only mean good things!


  • AMERICAN TEEN (July): Okay, this documentary just looks really sweet, and as it says in the preview, evocative of The Breakfast Club; how can I resist? The kids look pretty charming.



I'm also stoked for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Sex and the City: The Movie (obviously), Get Smart, and The Dark Knight, but figured they were getting, or gonna get, enough publicity already and you are probably all too aware of their existence and sick of it.

4 comments:

Heather said...

So I'm def. looking forward to the new M. Night Shymalan...can't spell that, not even going to try...I actually liked The Village, and even Lady in the Water was entertaining to me, but I don't think I'd ever watch it again.

Al the Gal said...

I also like a lot of aspects of "The Village" although I don't think the big twist works as well. But the atmosphere created, the score, and the performance by Bryce Dallas Howard all redeem the film a lot in my eyes.

I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't even seen "Lady in the Water."

Andrea said...

Screw you man, The Village is wonderful!! And I will defend Lady in the Water until death because of Paul Giamatti.

Moving on: When does Prince Caspian come out? Could we see it together???

Al the Gal said...

Lol! I know you love "The Village" and I can't speak personally on "Lady in the Water" but it doesn't surprise me that Paul Giamatti inspires your rabid devotion.:)

I was speaking generally, from the point of view of the critical consensus, not my own exact thoughts. (Cause as I said, I like a lot about "The Village," but it was eviscerated by the critics, and that's what I was acknowledging!)

As for "Prince Caspian," it comes out mid May so it should still be around in June. It could be arranged... :)