Tuesday, April 15, 2008

100 Favorite Movies, Part 9

We have now reached the sentimental portion of this program. The top twenty, I feel, are not going to deeply impress most of you. They are far less universally-loved choices. But in my defense, these are the movies I come back to; I told you watchability would be a big factor in my decision making process. Not only that, but most of these movies have some special nostalgic meaning for me, either as part of a tradition, my first experience with something, or it is related to a memorable anecdote. I have a story I could probably tell about each and every one of these movie-going experiences. I think that's what keeps them special for me and it probably defies explanation. So don't be too hard on me if you don't like them. Also, you should know, that while I have ranked the top 20, on any given day, almost any of these could be my number one.

  • 20. SCROOGE (1970) - We watch this one every Christmas Eve. Not only does the story embrace everything that should be important about Christmas, but it's a musical too! Most of the sentiments are simple (our favorite songs are "I Like Life" between Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Present, and "Thank You Very Much" between all of Scrooge's former debters) but they speak of joy, happiness and contentment. Albert Finney has great fun, actually looking the part of a miser, and then later goes through the most delightful transformation - singing off key, dancing like a great fool, handing out presents left and right and generally convincing everyone he's gone mad! It also contains an original writing of Scrooge's moments in hell where he is taunted by Marley and pathetically whines. That was an inspired idea that almost raises the film to the level of satire. And the final joyous moments of this film embody everything I love about this holiday.

  • 19. THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984) - One of the greatest mockumentary's ever, Spinal Tap follows the most pathetic band in mock-existence. But the truth is, they're really kinda lovable. They're like kids playing rock star. The music is actually pretty good - I love "Tonight We're Gonna Rock It," and "Sex Farm" is so bad it's good - and the three main performers (Harry Shearer, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest) embody these characters with equal amounts petulance, innocence and panache. The movie has two of the best jokes ever; 1) Nigel's excited explanation of how his amps go beyond 10 to 11, and 2) the "Stonehenge" act where unbeknownst to the band, their big prop is only 18 inches and they watch it fall in cring-inducing horror. Also, the DVD features a commentary with the three actors in character, dissing the movie for portraying them in a bad light, and it's just as funny as the movie itself - two movies for the price of one, in my opinion!
  • 18. THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (2001) - This movie may not seem to have a lot of substance, but it has a bizarre style that works for me. None of these characters seem even remotely like real people, with the possible exception of Danny Glover, but the movie is really about their quirks, the pauses in their dialogue and the random facts about their lives; it really isn't important whether they're realistic. The writing and acting create an offbeat rhythm that either engages you or not. I am fond of every strange development and revel in the inherent oddness of the characterizations. I also love the music choices. Thank you so much for introducing me to Nico's "These Days" during that first meeting between Margot and Ritchie - I blame that scene for my entire crush on Blake.
  • 17. GOSFORD PARK (2001) - Robert Altman is the master of the large ensemble cast. Here he gathers practically every awesome actor in England for a murder-mystery at a huge English manor. The film is really about the individual characters and the class distinctions - it has a very Upstairs/Downstairs feeling as we see the way a house party functions for both classes, as well as the myriad of secret relationships and motivations that arise and play out in subtle moments. There are so many characters and small touches you have to watch the movie more than once to get it all straight, but once all is clear, I just enjoy listening to them speak and the atmosphere it creates. Maggie Smith stands out for her sublime bitchiness, and I love the moment when Jeremy Northam's movie star plays the piano for the rich elite, and all the servants creep into corners, straining to hear him sing. It's a lovely scene.
  • 16. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) - Yeah, this choice is probably a total cliche. It's just such a great story. The concept has been done to death by now, but it was revolutionary at the time, and still delivers on subsequent viewings. James Stewart is absolutely phenomenal in the lead role; he's flawed and jealous and trapped, but you can always see the good guy that everyone loves and can understand why they all rally around him in the end. And the end! My god, that's an ending that gets me crying every time. That's the kind of person we all want to be: someone others feel blessed and privileged to know. This is so much more than just a Christmas movie - this is what we should endeavor to be every day of our lives.
  • 15. LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (2006) - The second time I saw this was in a packed theater in San Francisco and it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. It will probably never be that funny again, but it is still such a wonderful comedy, road movie and tale of family dysfunction. Each of the characters is essential to the plot, each has their moment to shine, and each actor was perfectly cast. They are dogged by amusing problems - the van that won't shift, the horn that won't stop honking - but also face personal demons of failure, rejection and the denial of their dreams. Luckily, the film closes with a scene of comedically devious horror as little Olive (Abigail Breslin) does a strip act to "Superfreak" in her beauty pageant and the reactions of all are priceless. No scene overstays it's welcome and the dynamic between all the characters manages to be over-the-top, authentic and funny, all at once.
  • 14. A FISH CALLED WANDA (1988) - This one was written by John Cleese, so it's no surprise it's hilarious. Cleese is uptight barrister Archie Leech (that was Cary Grant's real name), unwittingly drawn into a robbery plot when his client's girlfriend, Wanda (Jaime Lee Curtis) tries to seduce him for information. The plot also involves Wanda's other lover, Otto (Kevin Kline) posing as her brother, and helpless stutterer Ken (another Monty Python alum, Michael Palin) trying to kill a witness. Sound confusing? It's really not, but it is a great mash-up of motivations and double-crosses. Curtis is radiant, funny, sexy and ruthless; Cleese is basically the straight man, but squeezes laughs out of every scene; Palin's sad stutterer is tortured for information, and has no problem committing human murder, but balks at the deaths of animals; and Kevin Klines steals the show (he won the Best Supporting Oscar that year) as the outrageous criminal, inaccurately quoting philosophers, speaking crappy Italian, getting jealous, and playing gay to get on Ken's nerves. It's a wonderfully twisted caper and so, so funny!
  • 13. THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) - This is the first movie I ever saw more than once at the theater and I have never really gotten over my love for Ariel. Between this and Anne of Green Gables, I grew up devastated that I wasn't a redhead. I can quote every line of dialogue in tandem with the movie, including each inflection of voice, and I drive my sister nuts while I do it. The songs are classic - can you name a girl who doesn't know all the lyrics to "Part of Your World"? It's the little girl national anthem. It also has a GREAT group of supporting characters: spineless, simpering Sebastian, sweet and innocent Flounder, Scuttle the blustering nut (I frequently do an impersonation of his singing voice), and Ursula is the ultimate drag queen. The film also looks just gorgeous, having great fun with that under the sea color palette, and creating a magical world from which I have never recovered.
  • 12. THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN (2005) - How did this movie get here, you may ask? I really can't explain it, but I'll try. Steve Carell is adorable, believable as a virgin, and sweetly pathetic. His three friends (wonderfully characterized by Paul Rudd, Romany Malco, and Seth Rogen) give him conflicting horrible advice, but they are honestly just trying to help him, and in the end, they are looking out for his best interests and listening to how he really feels. Catherine Keener is the object of his affection and she is cool and lovable and rocks. And the movie, despite being gross-out humor, is so funny. From the boss trying to be his "fuck-buddy" to Seth Rogen's advice that he talk "like David Caruso in Jade" to Rogen and Rudd's ad-libbed "Know How I Know You're Gay...." scene, to the outrageous Bollywood "Age of Aquarius" ending, the movie makes me laugh every time. And I have to admit, it's the movie I put on most often before I go to bed.
  • 11. WONDER BOYS (2000) - Michael Douglas spends a large portion of this movie in a ratty, pink bathrobe. He's a failing writer with a weed problem, a teacher at a local college, having an affair with his now-pregnant mistress, being hounded by his publisher (campy and awesome Robert Downey Jr.) and saddled with an odd student (Tobey Maguire). Douglas manages to convey an endearing weariness. His life is a mess, but he is a good guy, tries to give the right advice, and is kind, attentive, and amused. I have a great deal of affection for this character because he is so messed up, but so clearly deserving of some compassion. The movie follows him over an important weekend where strange things happen, life realizations are made, and quirky comedy ensues. This movie grows on me more every time I watch it.

100 Favorite Movies Part 10 (Top 10)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Madaase paa (that's thank you very much in Twi) for the San Francisco Little Miss Sunshine shoutout. I was almost disappointed the next time I saw it and it just wasn't as funny.

Yes...you were right...some sentimental choices...but fabulous nonetheless. I was SAD this year when I couldn't watch Scrooge with you guys. And, The Little Mermaid? Definitely in my top 5.

Al the Gal said...

De nada. You know this year, I was so tired and out of whack with my sleeping schedule, I actually FELL ASLEEP during half the movie! I was horrified - I missed the hell sequence! And "Thank You Very Much"!

I've always felt that way about "Little Miss Sunshine" too - I remember it being so much funnier. And I feel like "The Little Mermaid" should be higher on my list, but I don't think I could honestly cut anything in my Top 10. Oh well. Wonderful nonetheless.