Friday, February 29, 2008

What I Love Right Now


LOST (2004 - present)



Although my parents have been avid fans from day 1, I never really watched "Lost" before. As most of the general populace is aware, I knew who most of the characters were, wondered about the hatch, was excited to see Kate and Sawyer get it on, and bummed to learn that Charlie had died. But with the exception of the odd episode here and there, I never watched it or really cared to.

But all that changed this season. I was informed, in great detail, about the amazing season three finale in which Jack and Kate are revealed to have left the island in a flash-forward!!!! Everyone was very excited about this development, so when the premiere of season four rolled around, I indulged my parents and watched it with them. WOWZA!!! The development of the flash-forward concept was a truly beneficent gift from the creators because, in contrast to other seasonal narratives, it actually allows the show to move forward and answer some questions without really revealing too much about the end game. Whereas before we marveled at the hidden connections between the Losties, pondered the meaning of the smoke, the numbers, what the Others wanted, the answers to most of these questions were mired in double talk and a lack of plot progression. I can't tell you how many times my dad would rant at them to just KILL BEN ALREADY! It was frustrating to devote so much time to a story that always seemed to be running circles around you chanting, "I'm smarter than you-ou! I'm smarter than you-ou!"

Within this flash-forward concept, rather than philosophical musings about island mysteries, we get some concrete answers to understandable questions. In the past 5 episodes alone, we have learned that yes, 6 people will get off the island. We know that Jack and Hurley will feel guilty about an event that occurs in order to get them off. We know that something horrible happens to Sayid that guilts him into working for Ben. We know that Ben and Sayid are taking out a list of people, most likely connected to Mr. Abbadon, a possible threat to people still on the island. And we know that Kate has a child, and it's Aaron! Claire's son!!! And now, the questions I have are real and they have a time-stamp! Rather than mystical correlations between Jacob's cabin and Locke, or why those specific numbers, I am now able to focus on realistic problems. Don't get me wrong - those mystical questions are still important and relevant, I'm sure, but it's a lot more fun to muse about material events than confusing other-worldly ideas that won't become clear for a very long time.

Instead, I get to ask - what happens to Claire! Is she gonna die soon? What is the terrible event that Sayid, Hurley and Jack have referred to? Was it some sort of deal they had to make to get off the island, which they now feel guilty for? What are Ben and Sayid trying to accomplish? Who is the dead person in the coffin? These are questions I can relate to. Not only are they physical events with tangible answers, but we know they will be revealed before people get off the island. These are questions we won't have to vaguely wonder about until the end of the show. And that gives these episodes a new sense of urgency and realism, because the day all this shit goes down is coming, and it's coming soon!

So now I'm hooked, theorizing like the rest of the Lost geeks - although I haven't entered any kind of shipperdom or extreme fanbase (as of yet). I've been burned by sci-fi before - shows that got me all riled up about all their mysteries, and then didn't deliver on a single one! But I think "Lost" knows what it's doing and it is such a great ride! All I need to do now is rent the first three seasons over the summer and life will be hunky dory! And did I mention that Naveen Andrews (Sayid) is looking pretty damn tasty?!?!! New TV crush alert!

2 comments:

Damon said...

The latest episode was amazing!

Al the Gal said...

Yes it was. Also really liked the one with Sayid's flashforwards (and not just cause he's cute) but they were really interesting.