Friday, August 1, 2008

Waiting for the "Harry Potter" teaser trailer


I have been diligently waiting for the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince trailer to arrive in theaters and on the Internet (do we still need to capitalize 'internet'?) all summer. You'd think that a big movie coming out on November 18th (that's only 4 months away) would have seen fit to release a trailer at some point earlier this summer. But, though the rumors kept popping up that it would be before Iron Man, then Prince Caspian, then The Dark Knight, the much anticipated trailer never appeared - not even the teaser trailer! I knew this because I routinely checked IMDb waiting for the fanboys to go nuts with post headings like "OMG - THE TRAILER IS HERE!!!!!" And still it did not come.

I know the Harry Potter franchise has enough of a following that they don't need to release trailers for it's sequels a year in advance to generate buzz. But if I see trailers for next Christmas's The Duchess in February, I feel entitled to 60 seconds of Harry Potter previews in May, June at the latest. The teaser for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines was seen a full summer before it's intended release.

So I went out of town for 3 days this week, and when I checked all my blogs upon returning, there it was! Yay! There's nary a scene of Ron (my personal favorite) and not even much Harry; rather the teaser focuses on Dumbledore, the Horcruxes, and a memory of a young Voldemort. It's great, totally creepy, and so encouraging to see that the film will be taking those memories seriously.



No comments: