Friday, January 4, 2008

Several Important Issues and a List!

  • STRIKE UPDATE: My hopes were initially high after the WGA and studio reps restarted negotiations on November 26. Early reports stated that talks were going well. However, all that fell apart about two weeks later and as of now, we are still no where close to resolving this damned strike! And with the impending threat of Celebrity Apprentice taking the time slot of our beloved Office, I'm getting pissed. I already see enough of Donald Trump's superior, ego-inflated ass on every entertainment-related newscast, and I think that's enough! At this point, the strike will probably not be over until SAG contracts expire in June and all the actors go on strike as well. Until then, the studios are really going to make us suffer.
  • Late night talk show hosts went back on the air unscripted this week, and as glad as I am to have Stewart and Colbert back, a big part of me just wanted to yell SCABS! SCABS! SCABBERS!!!!! (But I think that compulsion only comes from having seen Newsies and Billy Elliot too many times.) However, I understand that they need their jobs and have to fulfill their contracts as performers.
  • The other thorn in my side is the fact that the WGA have condemned the Golden Globes. They will be picketing the broadcast and any actors who attend will be crossing picket lines, which is frowned upon. Which means, bummer for me, there will be very few glamorous gowns to crow about, and not many actors will be there to pick up their awards. If this is the case come Academy Awards time, THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!

  • TELEVISION WITHOUT PITY: This is my very favorite website. Basically, a staff of much cleverer and more articulate people than I, have gathered together to write recaps of episodes of TV's best, or most popular, shows. The satisfaction comes from the fact that the writers don't just recap details, they offer it up with plenty of commentary and snark! (Yes, snark is a word, coming from the British slang snarky, meaning: rudely sarcastic or disrespectful, snide, irritable or short-tempered, irascible. Right up my alley!) I tune in regularly for the commentary on The Office, Veronica Mars, Gossip Girl and now, Bret Michaels: Rock of Love. If you loved that pile of manure as much as I did, I think you'll find the recaps equally gratifying. If you feel so inclined, please check it out here: Television Without Pity

  • Finally, I'm introducing an ongoing feature here called TOP TEN LIST. As anyone who knows me knows, I love making lists. And I love making lists about movies even more. So a couple times a month I will be posting a top ten list of something entertainment related. I have tried to come up with my own, somewhat original topics, because as a devout reader of "Entertainment Weekly," I have seen a lot of their countdowns and don't want to unintentionally plagiarize their excellent work. For the inaugural list, I'm only going to include the Top 5:

TOP FIVE SONGS THAT = AUTOMATIC STATION SWITCH

5. "Music" - Madonna: All I can see when I hear this song is that cowboy hat and her ugly fur coat from the video. I don't need that.
4. "Hotel California" - The Eagles: I understand that this is a classic, and I don't even think it's bad; put it in a film or TV show and that's all fine and dandy. But I don't wanna sing along in the car.
3. "A Horse With No Name" - America: As someone who listens to a lot of oldies stations, is it too much to ask that you play a different America song, every now and then, cause this one: played out!
2. "Time" - Hootie and the Blowfish: Pretty much goes for any Hootie song. I could not go anywhere in 1995 without hearing this and I think I've met my quota.
1. "All I Wanna Do" - Sheryl Crow: I don't know when it happened, cause I was perfectly happy singing along to it in the Jr. High locker room, but now, it's like nails on a chalk board.


I'm sure that in this digital age, I am the only one who still even listens to the radio. But anyone wanna post their station turners?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Next time hotel california comes on try singing along using the William Hung Interpretation (california pronouced as Cauli-FON-YA) I guarantee that you'll at least get past the first time through the chorus, chuckle, and then turn the station. I'll comment again later with my station turners.

Al the Gal said...

Did he sing that on American Idol? Or have you bought his CD? That is hilarious! I'll have to try it next time!

Heather said...

I can't be sure...but I think I heard the William Hung CD when I was working at the UO Athletic Training Room. If memory serves me, I think one of the team doctors had purchased it for the facility....odd.