Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Nominations Reaction; JAM video

In regard to this morning's Oscar nominations, I just have to say I am unexpectedly satisfied. Much to my surprise, Atonement did get nominations for Picture and supporting actress Saoirse Ronan - I was doubting that it actually would! It also got totally deserved nods in adapted screenplay, cinematography, costume design, art direction and score. Yay! Supporting actor was exactly as I hoped, and the only change to my supporting actress list was Ruby Dee from American Gangster replacing Kelly MacDonald. And both Best Actor and Best Actress are, again, mostly as I hoped, but Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd) and Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: The Golden Age) replaced James McAvoy and Keri Russell (which is not unexpected). The only change to my list of Best Picture nominees is There Will Be Blood replacing Once, although Once did get a nomination for Best Song, "Falling Slowly" - YAY!

Best Director included category favorites Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country for Old Men) and Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood), both films which led the nominations with 8 each, but Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly), Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton) and surprise! Jason Reitman (Juno) were also nominated. There are lots of other great choices in nominations in the technical categories as well. The awards most surprising snub, to me, appears to be Into the Wild, a critics favorite that didn't get Sean Penn a directing nod (or best song/score), however it did garner supporting actor and film editing nominations. If you want a full list of the nominees, just search Academy Awards 2008, and your computer will be falling all over itself trying to give you a link! I am immensely pleased with this year's selections!

So, in other news........

It's been about about two months since we got a new episode of "The Office," and I've been going through a few minor withdrawals. I know that none of you are as psychotic as I am and don't spend hours watching shipper videos on youtube, but in light of our collective pining, I decided to post my absolute favorite Pam/Jim video ever. (Seriously, really well-edited; hits all the right notes.) If you only watch the show for the comedy and Michael, sorry, but this is not likely to soothe your pain. But for those of you who, like me, were on tenderhooks throughout their agonizing courtship, this is the video for you! It's from Pam's POV, dealing with the ramifications of turning Jim down in the season 2 finale, and completely schmaltzy! Makes me inexplicably happy every time I see it!