Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Favorite Scene


New feature! Favorite movie scenes, no ranking, one at a time. Pretty simple.


BRAVEHEART (1995):

Early on, at that first wedding, when the English lord comes to assert his right of "jus primae noctis" - first night with the bride. Her new husband is of course enraged, and rightfully so, but this woman, who is so simply beautiful, puts her cheek against his and whispers words of comfort, and calmly accepts her fate. The shots are slowed down, and the score is lovely and mournful - it's all a little manipulative, I admit, but it works on me every time. With the benefit of maturity I can see that this young woman really has no other choice that to go with the English lord - the only thing she can control is whether her new husband will die in the process. But I always admired her quiet strength and grace in that moment, which was surely one of the worst of her life.


 
 

No comments: