Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Golden Globes Wrap-Up


To have truly been relevant this would have needed to post yesterday. Lucky for me, I don't care.


THE GOOD

*Amy Poehler and Tina Fey hosting (no surprise here). Favorite joke (well, mine and everyone else on the internet's): "Gravity. A film where George Clooney would rather float off in space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age." (I also really laughed at that gag with Amy playing Tina's son Randy and trying to guess who his father was.)


*It was lovely to see Robin Wright (Best Actress in a Drama) win something. (Ditto on Elisabeth Moss finally getting some hardware for "Top of the Lake.") And she was so adorably flabbergasted and surprised. But damn, that woman can run in heels! Something to aspire to.

*I know Leonardo DiCaprio has his haters out there, but I was genuinely thrilled he won for The Wolf of Wall Street. By most accounts, he worked his ass off in that movie, hitting notes we hadn't seen from him before (can't personally attest to this having not seen it yet - in a weeks's time I swear!), and his speech was gracious and well-spoken, even affably nervous. Just give Leo all the awards, please. It makes me happy.

* Joaquin Phoenix smiles! On the red carpet. In cutaway shots. Interacting with others. After losing. Being kissed by Spike Jonze. It was everywhere!


*Genuine excitement over how the Academy Awards noms will play out! McConahey beat out 12 Years a Slave's Chiwetel Ejiofer, Amy Adams bests Meryl Streep, American Hustle beats out Her, and Inside Llewyn Davis, DiCaprio bests Joaquin Phoenix and Bruce Dern, Alfonso Cuaron wins Director over Steve McQueen, Jennifer Lawrence and Jared Leto stole some awards from Slave's Michael Fassbender and Lupita N'Yongo. (Don't get me wrong - I loved Lawrence in American Hustle. She steals every scene she's in. But I honestly didn't think she had this much awards support steamrolling behind her.) Nothing really seems like a sure bet anymore! (Except maybe Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine - everyone adores her.) I like that so much more than when you can predict all 6 major categories.

*Amy Poehler wins Best Actress in a Comdey for "Parks and Recreation"! Finally! I don't watch that show, but something tells me I would love it. Any Poehler is the funniest, most gracious and good-spirited loser I've ever seen. It was about time she won something! And her speech was so sweet - that "I never win!" was the greatest.



THE BAD

*Everyone else has got their panties in a twist that Aaron Paul didn't win Supporting Actor, and I'd probably be there with you if I had ever watched "Breaking Bad." Instead I'm frustrated that blowhard Jon Voight won instead of Josh Charles' for his amazing year on "The Good Wife." That's the real crime here, folks! (I suppose Aaron Paul losing can be 2nd by a very small margin.) I would have loved to see a surprise win for Corey Stoll in "House of Cards" as well. Does anyone remember his entertaning turn as Ernest Heminway in Midnight in Paris? Can't wait to see what he does next.

*While I liked the surprise and the sprinkling of awards among many films, 12 Years a Slave deserves more than just a Best Picture Win.

*Puff Daddy (that's your name no matter how many times you change it!) hogging the mic from Best Score winner Alex Engbert. Awkward. I fast-forwarded through it.



BEST DRESSED: Julianna Marguiles. I adore gold on black. This is what I want to look like when I grown up.





WORST DRESSED: Paula Patton is the most reliably bad red carpet fashionista I have ever seen. Everything she wears is too little, or too much, or ill-suited or ill-fitted.




MOST DISAPPOINTING: Sandra Bullock. In theory I love the color-blocking trend (it was great on Amy Adams and Audrey Plaza, even Taylor Swift) and Bullock has rocked it at recent film premieres. But this just looks like a bad '80's prom dress. She can do so much better. At least her hair is gorgeous.




MOST SURPRISINGLY NOT AWFUL WHEN IT SHOULD BE: Emma Watson. She is wearing a slitted, apron-like dress over a pair of black cigarette pants. That is horrifying. And yet, the red is stunning, the cut on her back is elegant, her face is flawless and she's rocking purple heels. I find myself strangely in love.





No comments: