Thursday, May 21, 2009

This Week in Chuck...FINALLY!!!


They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So I submit the following evidence:


THANK YOU! About freaking time! Yes, after an entire season of ups and downs (mostly downs, although lots of sexy ones) Chuck and Blair have finally, almost equally, declared their love for each other. There were times when we thought we'd poke out our ears if we had to hear one more unreciprocated "Three words, eight letters, say them and I'm yours, I LOVE YOU!" on this show. Thankfully that time has passed and we can look forward to lots of happy-in-love snarking and scheming from the scariest twosome to ever grace my screen. Yay! (A Warning, writers: break them up anytime before I die and I will cut you. DEAD.)

In all seriousness, the Chuck and Blair scenes were by far the highlights of the episode. They continue to have insane chemistry and drag continuous emotion from what seems like a dead horse. And that last scene? Made of yummy goodness. When was the last time Chuck Bass smiled that big? I think early first season. His "I love you, too," was of course no where near as wonderful as Blair's earlier confession of "Chuck Bass, I love you. I love you so much, it consumes me. I love you." (She said it all in a very convincing, serious, tearful voice - looks ridiculous on paper, but was perfection in execution.) However, the fact that he repeated it several times while they were making out ("I love you, I love you, that's three, four, I love you, etc.") more than made up for the initial lackluster phrasing.


The most major kudos must be given to Leighton Meester. Blair remains the most multi-faceted, fascinating, endearing, compelling character on that show. Other than the Chuck and Blair goodness, the only scenes that really lifted off the ground during both of the last two episodes were moments involving Blair - a couple great Blair and Serena moments, Blair's crazy prom conviction, the queen speech to Jenny, her "not enough" to the mean girls, and of course the insanely happy Chuck and Blair streetside makeout - when was the last time Blair was that genuinely happy? (And can't forget her conviction in that silly, yet sexy, stripping scene - it would have been easy for that one to go so wrong.) Also loved yet another Non-Judging Breakfast Club scene from the finale. Seeing Serena, Chuck, Nate and Blair on the steps plotting together really never gets old.


It does, however, show that Nate needs a personality upgrade. Serena kind of does as well. I think the last few eps have really proven that Chuck is the only person who ever gets anything done and Blair is the heart of their group. So while Serena showed great initiative in her plot to reveal Gossip Girl, she had absolutely no follow through. And poor Nate has been playing the fool for quite awhile now, asking questions all over the place and suggesting they just leave things alone. He never really brings anything to the table; they just keep him around cause he's cute and they love him. I did love how at first he thought that Dan was GG, then hilariously said, "They're a team?" when Blair and Jenny entered together. Oh, Nate. Get a clue.

Winner #1: (From episode 2.24 "Valley Girls") Thank God, th
ese last two eps brought the return of color to the wardrobe of Chuck Bass. This is the suit he wore to prom (I wish we had gotten to see it more) and it was a ridiculous homage to that great season one blue suit I loved so much (see it here.) Well done, costumers. That is exactly what Chuck Bass would wear to prom.


Winner #2: (From 2.25 "The Goodbye Gossip Girl") Later in the episode Chuck did wear this fantastic black suit with a fuscia, paisley tie, and man, it fit him to a T. Dude seriously looked like an old-fashioned movie star. But it was just a black suit and those never translate as well in photos; have to see it in action on the show for it to really have an effect. So I'm going with the color again (was there ever a doubt?), and Bass didn't disappoint in this loud oranage shirt with matching tie and fab brown suit. With matching pocket squre - yay!



P.S. I fully intend to write something about the season finale of "Lost" - in fact I might just write something about Season Finale season in general because I feel like thi
s one has been particularly contentious - but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be out of town for the next few days but I hope to have the Lost piece up on Monday or Tuesday - like two weeks after the fact, go me! Oh well. Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

It was so great! I mean finally! I was sooo afraid that they were just going to keep dragging it out and eventually it would just be like kill it or we would all loose interest (I mean REALLY! How many times can they be like "I..uh... I oh..." "I think you'd better go" "Yes, I think I better had." Without the end result of me tearing out my hair!!)
I think the move to college will be great, and give them new material so that they dont just keep rehashing the same stuff!
Ok, and that whole Georgina thing! No college lets you just walk up and request a roomate! you ALWAYS need to BOTH put eachother's names on the application! Sheesh ;)
Totally agree with you about Dan and Serena, I even think Nate could use a personality upgrade, I am kind of afraid of these people becoming stagnant.

Seriously though - how hard would it be to find out who Gossip Girl is - she was obviously going to school with them, and some event - probably in the ninth grade made her start gossiping - soo all they have to do is think of who they (esp Serena) might have hurt or spurned in the ninth grade! Though maybe they've done it so much they could never remember! ^_^

Sarah said...

I did love the smiles!! :D

Al the Gal said...

Love the Eddie Izzard reference!!! Every time Chuck tried to say it back it was exactly like that! But I'm so stoked to see them working as a couple. I really hope the writers give them a chance, because I think they're interesting enough characters together and on their own, to make a long-term relationship fun to watch without killing the chemistry.

As for the college roommate stuff and the finding GG plot, obviously they are taking huge liberties with reality. In the Georgina case, of course ridiculous, and like Blair would even deign to live in the dorms in the first place, but because Georgina is just so magically creepy, I'm going with it, no complaints. Can't wait to see B & G go at it next season. (Although I'm disappointed we didn't get to see G take down Poppy Lifton - both the season finales have these fantastic buildups involving Georgina, but then don't show the meat of the resolution; we just get scraps. That's so unfair!)

And the GG thing, in real life, I'm sure Chuck could get it done and find out, but the whole conceit of the show is that they never find out and she's not a real character anyways, just a representation of the "surveillance culture" (as Jacob at TWoP loves to say) these characters live in. It's a fun idea to watch Serena try to find her, but the show won't ever let her actually be exposed.

I'm really excited for next season - mainly the Chuck and Blair, obviously - but I really hope they get the writing back up to par. The second half of this season has been a bit scattered, and while most of the actual ideas and plots were good, the way they were written was half-baked and lacked clear motivation and follow through.

And Dan, Serena and Nate (even Vanessa) need to become more relevant, STAT! It can't be that hard - it's called a character arc, writers! It lasts for more than one episode...you've mostly done it with Chuck and Blair (individually and as a couple) just extend the love and stop casting crappy guest actors as Serena's love interests.