Monday, March 31, 2008

100 Favorite Movies, Part 7

Hey guys, sorry about the changing type face on this post. My computer went cuckoo this week and when I tried to edit this post, it wouldn't let me open it, and then it saved it weird, and then I posted it and only the pictures showed up. So after some wrangling, this is the best I could do. It's still all mostly legible. Sorry for the inconvenience, computers can be a bitch!

ETA: I managed to fix the typeface! Go me! Yay!

  • 40. THE DEPARTED (2006) - The tension in this thing is absolutely unbearable, perhaps because instead of one criminal with the heat on his back, we get two! Matt Damon plays against type as the duplicitous yet winsome mole inside the police force, and Leonardo DiCaprio is the stressed and frazzled undercover agent in the mob. Both actors hit every mark with grace and ease, never more-so than when they begin to self-destruct. The stellar supporting cast is brilliantly colored by everyone from Alec Baldwin and Martin Sheen as veteran cops, the chameleon Ray Winstone as Mr. French, an indispensable Jack Nicholson as the mob boss, and Mark Wahlberg stealing scenes as the vulgar and unflappable Sgt. Dignam.

  • 39. THE BREAKFAST CLUB (1985) - In my opinion, this is the best thing John Hughes ever wrote. The characters and experiences may be drawn a little broad, but the dialogue is snappy and memorable, many of the sentiments are touching and believable, and for a movie that is almost all talk, it captivates completely. I especially appreciate the antagonistic relationship between Molly Ringwald's spoiled princess and Judd Nelson's over-the-top bad boy. He ribs, taunts, and berates her continually, but their confrontation serves to bring the entire group closer together and expose vulnerabilities and truths from all. I also appreciate the humor of Anthony Michael Hall's kind nerd, and the way Ally Sheedy makes a sandwich.
  • 38. IN HER SHOES (2005) - I don't have such a love/hate relationship with any of my sisters, but I think almost everyone can still understand the unconditional love that exists in this kind of relationship. Cameron Diaz takes on a rather unlikable character and really makes me care about her journey. She has two scenes involving poetry, one where she is exposed and vulnerable, another where she brings down the house with an emotional rendition of ee cummings. Toni Collette has the thankless role of buttoned-down older sister, but in the hands of such an accomplished actress, Rose is heartbreaking in her insecurity. And there's a winning part for Mark Feuerstein as Rose's potential boyfriend, a man who is alluring precisely because he knows himself, absolutely, and is at complete ease with exactly who he is.
  • 37. BEAUTIFUL GIRLS (1995) - For me, the movie is all about the precocious and lively performance of Natalie Portman. At 14, she is Marty, the neighbor girl so effervescent and wise-beyond-her-years our hero actually falls for her despite their age difference. No worries, it's not headed for Lolita territory. But she does help him put some things in focus, and like him, she has us all wondering how Marty will turn out when she grows up.The rest of the story is a smart character study of several friends gathered together for their 10-year high school reunion, and finally growing up. A well-written, ingeniously-cast, and smartly-acted film.

  • 36. GROUNDHOG DAY (1992) - Bill Murray plays wry self-absorption like it's nobody's business. Working from one of the most original screenplays, his puffed-up weatherman goes through every emotion in the book when Groundhog Day becomes the day that will not end. Murray's impeccable comic timing first has him paranoid enough to know that a life without consequences gets old after awhile, so Murray also gets to play suicidal and despondent, then rallies and finally becomes the great guy that was always hiding inside. The transformation is filled with intelligent dialogue, and a continuous gag where we see Murray slightly modify the same conversations day after day after day.

  • 35. BEDAZZLED (1967) - If you've only seen the 2000 remake starring Elizabeth Hurley, you don't know what you're missing. This original British gem features Dudley Moore as sad-sack nobody Stanley Moon, who sells his soul to Satan (aka George), a witty, ingratiating chap more akin to the hero of an Oscar Wilde play than the Master of Evil. Not only does George grant Stanley wishes to change his life, but he turns up to personally ruin each of Stanley's wishes, never funnier than in the "rock star" wish: Moore desperately sings "LOVE ME" to throngs of screaming girls, only to be overshadowed by George's zen pop star, boredly monotoning lyrics like, "I don't care...just go away...you fill me with inertia, etc." The savvy script is whip-smart, and I adore that the granting of each wish is preceded by George's incantation, "And the magic words, Julie Andrews!"
  • 34. STAND BY ME (1986) - Short and sweet, this movie fills me in on all the male camaraderie I missed when I was busy being a girl, not being raised in a dysfunctional home. The four child actors are all amazing: Jerry O'Connell is a pudge of timid irritation, Corey Feldman is filled with rage, Will Wheaton is the intelligent storyteller, and River Phoenix plays tough, but is wise beyond his years as he stands up for and protects the entire group. Gordie's story about the pie-eating contest is an adept combination of great writing and that immature adolescent sense of humor, and the film touchingly demonstrates that age where we lose a piece of our innocence and start to choose who we will become.

  • 33. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (2005) - Jane Austen's literary masterpiece, finally realized in a film as beautiful as it is clever. I'm also a big fan of the 1995 miniseries, and the two together function as companion pieces: while the mini tells the entire story, the film excels in that it feels more rustic and organic, several of the minor characters are less like caricatures that in the mini, and Jane and Mr. Wickham are both better looking - as they should be! Keira Knightley and Matthew McFadyen are wonderful leads, Knightley bringing a youthful vigor to Elizabeth Bennett, and McFadyen exposing more of Mr. Darcy's vulnerability. The scene where he unsuccessfully proposes, brilliantly filmed in the rain, is passionately performed by both, angrily airing their grievances, but still pausing a moment to dwell in the chemistry and attraction. (Also, as if I need to mention another one, it has a simply delightful score, mostly on piano, wistful and lovely.)

  • 32. THE INCREDIBLES (2004) - This is an animated film that's every bit as good as any traditional action flick. Once again, Pixar takes a completely original view on familiar subject matter and turns a superhero into a pathetic family man. The movie has a lot of fun with the family's various superpowers, including Dash using his superspeed to play pranks on his teacher, and Violent using her invisibility to stalk her crush. The entire island sequence is a perfect composite of heedless joy in storytelling and gripping action sequences. I find Dash's enthusiasm infectious and hilarious, the tailor Edna (voiced by director Brad Bird) is so fabulous I have no words, and the discussion about why capes are ridiculous is a sly piece of writing.
  • 31. AMELIE (2001) - Amelie is a shy girl with a wildly creative mind. When she decides to do random favors for people, she stumbles onto the perfect way to express herself with ingenuity and help others find happiness. The film is filled with odd, whimsical touches like the lamps that randomly come alive or the crush who collects discarded photo booth pictures. Star Audrey Tatou has big, round eyes full of innocent wonder and vulnerable hope, and in the course of her unique story she touches the lives of all the eccentric people around her and finds a man odd enough to complement her imagination. The film has a bright color palette of reds, greens, and yellows, and a visual flair that often feels like a surreal dream.

100 Favorite Movies Part 8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok! This is the first time I have read your blog and I like it! I hope you don't mind me joining in here.
I am surprised that a girl of your age has musicals such as West Side Story in your top 100. I love it!! I am looking forward to the next 20!

Have you ever seen Carousel or Oklahoma? Very Old school, but very good.

Melanie
(Damon's mom)

Al the Gal said...

Hey Melanie! You are totally welcome here! I've always enjoyed reading your posts on Heather's blog, and it's pretty much just her (and occasionally Damon) commenting over here, so the more the merrier!

As evidenced by my blog, I'm a pretty big movie buff. Some of the older films I've come across in film classes(I took one solely about musicals), but my family is really into to all sorts of movies as well. I don't have any on my list, but I like most Barbra Streisand musicals as well (my mom loves them), and have been trying to catch up on some other classics like "My Fair Lady," "An American in Paris," and "Meet Me in St. Loius." (I'm fond of "Singin' in the Rain" too!)

However, I haven't seen many of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals yet. I have a list of movies to rent, but right now my renting pool consists of the American Family Video store which doesn't have the greatest selection of older films. Hopefully I'll catch them soon.

Great to have you! The last 3 parts of my Top 100 should be up in the next week or so.