Thursday, December 26, 2013

Coming Soon



On DVD...


The Spectacular Now (Jan 14): WHY ISN'T THIS MOVIE IN MY DVD PLAYER RIGHT NOW!?!?!




Stoker (available now): Didn't think I was all that interested in this but then I saw the full trailer and said "What in the holy hell is this magnificent combination of weird?" I simply must find out.






In Theaters...


Lone Survivor (Dec 27): Pretty great reviews, especially for our erstwhile homeboy Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch), and the rest of the cast thrills me as well (Mark Wahlberg, Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch and Eric Bana). Not my typical fare, but by this cast I have been swayed.




Her (Dec 18): It's Spike Jonze. And the amazing Joaquin Phoenix. And Scarlett Johannson as a Siri-like sentient operating system - and she gets a free pass from me after her spot-on performance in Don Jon. This looks so, so sweet.




Winter's Tale (Feb 14): It looks kinda sappy, Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe are not exactly sure bets anymore - especially Crowe's wonky accent - and I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on here. It feels a little like August Rush crossed with Cinderella Man by way of Kate and Leopold. But our leading lady is Jessica Brown-Findley, otherwise known as the best sister on "Downtown Abbey," and her charm is enough for me to give this a chance.




Godzilla (May 16): Had absolutely no interest in this whatsoever, but this trailer is kind of killing it. That first minute is bang on suspense.




The Grand Budapest Hotel (Mar 7): Love, love, love me some Wes Anderson.




Veronica Mars (Mar 14): I've said it before and I'll say it again - why haven't more of you tried out "Veronica Mars," one of the best TV shows to come out of the oughts? It's delightful and snarky and fun and mysterious and those season-long mysteries kick ass. I can't keep badgering you all about this. Just take my word for it and watch the damn show already! And then come see the movie with me!




Dom Hemingway (Apr 4): Jude Law is finally ugly enough to do all the great character actor parts he was always meant for. This looks like a gas. And his costar, Richard E. Grant, should be a star. Check him out in Withnail and I, Gosford Park and "The Scarlet Pimpernel" for some serious, straight-up, charm-your-pants-off snobbery (and in many cases, drunkeness).






No comments: