Thursday, March 12, 2009

Who I Love Right Now: TV Leading Men


Nathan Fillion:

I've known about this guy for awhile now, but I just ended up watching almost everything he'd been in over a week and a half span and I was feeling kind of in love with the guy. For those of you who don't know, his most famous role came in the 2003 Joss Whedon series "Firefly" where he played snarky, badass rebel Captain Mal Reynolds in a futuristic space opera heavily influenced by the Old West. He later reprised the role in a movie based on the series, 2005's Serenity. (Btw, Sarah, this first pic is totally for you, the only person who will get and love the 'SHINY' reference on his shirt!)

If you've never checked this show or movie out, I would highly encourage it. I'm already Joss Whedon's bitch (what
with his ability to assemble great ensemble casts, create kickass female characters, right clever dialogue, and occasionally do amazing musical episodes!) so of course I loved the show, but if you like his sense of humor and some space drama, check it out. Fillion is one of the highlights. The character of Mal is familiar; he's a loner and a rebel, willing to die for his beliefs and wary of trusting anyone. (There are also echoes of Han Solo in his sense of humor.) But what makes the character stand out in an already impressive cast is that Fillion inhabits him so entirely. He's deadly serious every minute he's playing Mal, but he's also so funny. (And I love his wardrobe, especially the jacket he's not wearing in this picture. Whoops!) The character's so good Empire's (admittedly a total fanboy site) poll of the 100 greatest movie characters of all time placed Mal at #51. (Check out the entire list here. It's pretty great.) Also, I swear I came up with the Han Solo comparison on my own, but I see it's also written on the Empire blurb, so maybe I subconsciously stole it. Who knows? I'm copping to the possibility right here!

He was also one of the odder characters (and that's saying something) in last year's delightful pie comedy Waitress, one of my new favorite movies. During the writer's strike he played the vain tool Captain Hammer on Joss Whedon's wonderful "Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog." (You should also check this out if you're a Neal Patrick Harris fan. It's over here...) And last Monday night I watched him in the premiere of the ABC show "Castle." The show was only so-so (too much procedural for me), the witty banter only occasionally witty, but at least the leads (Fillion as crime writer Rick Castle and Stana Katic as policewoman Kate Beckett) had some chemistry. I'll probably keep watching if only for Fillion's charm and charisma.



Jon Hamm:

I've already raved about this man in connection to his breakout role as Don Draper on "Mad Men." (Seriously one of the tightest and most subtly scripted shows around.) I already knew the man was a great actor and a stone fox. Just look at the way he wears a suit. Meow! (I know it's totally corny, but I have so much fun saying 'stone fox.' Mock if you must.)

But I had no idea how adept his comedic skills were. First I saw his SNL guest appearance back in October:




Then I caught his great guest-starring role as Tina Fey's neighbor and potential love interest on "30 Rock," specifically where they have their first date on Valentine's Day and everything that can go wrong, does. Hey, it let me embed the entire episode! What!




And just this morning I stumbled across this video on "Funny or Die" where he plays Lex Luthor, navigating the financial crisis in a bad skull cap. Hilarious!



So I'm pretty much in love with this guy now too! (Also, Heather, the FNL post should be up on Sunday.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! For Nathan Fillion! He's great! I'm glad he's found another job!!
Was Jon Hamm Really that guy on 30 Rock?? I had no idea!!